WR450 Life period and reliability as a DualSport?

3 replies to this topic
  • Zerbabilon

Posted April 15, 2003 - 11:56 AM

What kind of mileage can a WR450 handle on the road?

I'm a broke college student and my Jeep breaks every other week. I need $4,000 to fix it so that means I wont be able to get the jetski back in the water. I'm thinking about selling the Jeep and buying a new WR450 for my primary vehicle. Also buy a beater to tow the jetski and use in bad weather.

So can a WR450 handle being a commuter? 350 road miles a week, + abuse off-road and still keep on thumping?

I need cheap and reliable transportation and still be able to tow my ski. I think a bike is the funnest way to accomplish that. I love wheeling and going out in the woods and I don't want to give that up but would a Streetbike like a YZF R6 be more suitable or do you think a WR450 is up to the task?

• Zerbabilon

Posted April 15, 2003 - 01:52 PM

Anyone have high mileage on a WR or know its lifespan?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted April 15, 2003 - 02:34 PM

I think Indy_WR450 has the most mileage of anyone so far. The last I heard he'd logged somewhere around 800+ miles. If these new 450's are anywhere near as reliable as the old 400's and 426's are, then you'll be able to log thousands of miles.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 15, 2003 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, I have 862 miles on mine. Not dual sporting. It comes down to how much engine reving you are going to do. The valve train will need a rebuild in 2 or 3 years for most of us that ride hard on trials (not racing). For Dual sport you may be able to get 4 or 5 years if you short shift it and use it for mild off road riding. I change the oil every week averaging 150 miles per week. If you are truly dual sporting and having long street rides a synthetic oil would be a wise choice since Yamaha has chosen a very small oil capacity to use for the transmission and the engine. I run Valvoline 10/W40 & 20W50 car oil to keep the costs down and protect the transmission. I expect to get 8,000 miles ( 2 years ) before I have to redo the top end. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.