426 rebuild??

3 replies to this topic
  • Tim

Posted May 30, 2000 - 05:34 AM

Hey boys,
Have any of you guys rebuilt your 426 yet? Or maybe even 400? I am sure somebody has so far....... How was it? Pain in the a$$? Do we have one of those "Plated Cylinders" or the good ole cast iron sleeve? Helping a buddy of mine rebuild his '99 KX 250 is creating a dark spot in my heard towards those "plated juggs". One more thing, how often do you guys replace the pistons, when you do replace them? Just rings?
Thanks in advance

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 30, 2000 - 03:00 PM

Rebuild a 426??
I know of many 98 WRs and YZs on stock piston and rings!
Cylindersare Plated
I've heard thad because the skirts are so short on the piston and rone to cracking it is better to replace both piston and rings instead of just rings.

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ken

Posted May 30, 2000 - 04:07 PM

I put in a new piston and rings after about a year on my '98 YZ. Not a great deal of hours, but wanted to look for future reference. My feeling is that it was nowhere near needing changed. Everything looked as new.

Biggest pain was socket clearance on the camshaft cap bolts. I ended up chucking a socket in a lathe and turning down the wall thickness to get on a couple of the bolts. Torque wrench clearance a little tight in a couple places as well (with engine in frame).

I believe that there's been a post on it, but make sure the cam chain down around the sprocket on the crank is in order before reinstalling the cams / chain guides.

All in all, pretty straight forward, manual is pretty good for this procedure.

• Tim

Posted May 31, 2000 - 06:09 AM

Thanks guys.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.