YZ450F problems with over heating on tight trails?

28 replies to this topic
  • WB450

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:40 AM

I've never had a problem with my 07 over heating.:bonk:

• shrubitup

Posted October 19, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Not really on topic but a slightly lean jetted YZ250 running 24:1 climbing the Jolly Creek trail in Teanaway will overheat in either 100* or 33* temperatures. I have proof.

There are extreme climbs that will overheat anything (mx bike related) and everything else where I don't overheat. :bonk:

I'm lurking here still with the YZ450F price so low.:bonk:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:14 AM

I'm lurking here still with the YZ450F price so low.:bonk:

Just give in already :bonk:

• locorider

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:38 AM

I had problems blowing steam but now I follow a simple rule. If I have to stop I kill the engine.
Even if it appears it will only be for 30 seconds e.g, someone trying to pick up a bike in front of you etc.

Also, if it get's hot all you need is a 100 yd stretch with a little speed to cool it down quickly.

A word of caution, if it gets to where it is blowing steam and you flame out, it can be an ordeal to get it going again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzfin

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:09 AM

Could you tell us more about the cooling fan? What did you use, what powers it, pics, etc.???

I use a weatherproof SPAL fan with a lighting stator. It's mounted to the back of the radiator with a custom mount I made from aluminum, which is attached to my radiator guards. I'll post pics soon.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:54 AM

I noticed my '03 never boiled over even in the tightest, gnarliest stuff. Then I put a set of rad guards (Rooster Performance) and after that it would occasionally boil over if I went too slow for too long.

With my '07 I've had zero problems with overheating, but when I bought rad guards for it I also bought a high pressure radiator cap as a little extra insurance.

You really shouldn't have any trouble, but if you do there are a number of things you can do to help prevent or deal with boil over.

Run Engine Ice coolant - I haven't used it, but I understand it helps from what I read on TT
Larger radiators - the WR rads are larger capacity
After market water pump impeller - moves the water better than the oem
Higher pressure rad cap
Turn your bike off anytime you stop
Don't use rad guards - although you increase the chance of rad damage in a crash
Make or buy a catch tank - it may boil over, but at least you don't loose your coolant

• Michigantrailrider

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:17 PM

I ride a 03 YZ 450f on deep sand single tracks in Michigan and also have it street legal. When I first started riding the bike on tight trails and while waiting at stop lights I did notice some coolant overflowing. To help resolve the problem I drilled the front fender, installed an in line cooler, and started running Maxima Coolanol. Now it is very very rare that I notice any coolant overflowing. One thing I also did was reroute a longer overflow hose to run up and then around the front of steering neck. This way I can easily monitor if the bike is getting hot simply by looking down at the clear line and seeing if there is coolant working its way up in the line. My next plan of action if I would have needed it was going to be to use a longer piece of clear tubing and make a coil or two of tubing behind the headlight/number plate which would essentialy create a small overflow reservoir for coolant to expand and gather in until it cooled and then was drawn back into the radiator.

• rufusz

Posted October 21, 2009 - 11:22 PM

My next plan of action if I would have needed it was going to be to use a longer piece of clear tubing and make a coil or two of tubing behind the headlight/number plate which would essentialy create a small overflow reservoir for coolant to expand and gather in until it cooled and then was drawn back into the radiator.

Costs:

Small home-made overflow bottle - around 20$
Hot coolant spitting in your face from behind the number plate - Priceless

:bonk:

• Michigantrailrider

Posted October 30, 2009 - 05:04 PM

I guess I should have made it more clear. I did't terminate the line behind the headlight/number plate, I continued to run it down the left side of the frame where the original line terminated. I had a purrchased overflow bottle, but the line would not stay on when riding on the single tracks.

Five feet of line, pocket change. Reading your reply, priceless.:smirk:

Edited by Michigantrailrider, October 30, 2009 - 06:12 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.