K and N oil filters?

11 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted October 14, 2009 - 02:46 PM

So my local shop has paper and metal K and N oil filters the paper are just like stock so no questions there. What do you guys know about or think of the metal ones? I used them in my 04 which now needs a topend, not sure it was the filter though. I am trying to be extra careful with my new 08 so any input would be a big help. I am going to get a Scotts this spring for sure just need something to good to use til then.

• KtmKramer

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:02 PM

Metal are fine if u have the right sonic cleaning equipment. I've always used $3 HiFlo filters and never had a problem.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:14 PM

I guess what I want to know is if paper is better?

• cowboyona426

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:20 PM

I would just get the Scotts and be done with it.

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:29 PM

Metal are fine if u have the right sonic cleaning equipment. I've always used $3 HiFlo filters and never had a problem.

Sonic cleaning equipment? Whatever for?

I guess what I want to know is if paper is better?

What I want to know is why you haven't looked in Common Threads after all this time. :bonk:

Paper's not better; it's different:
http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• FinchFan194

Posted October 14, 2009 - 03:30 PM

I see your point but I am wondering which is better the KandN metal or paper? Gray you out there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quantum50

Posted October 14, 2009 - 04:05 PM

The most important thing about any oil and oil filter set up you are running is that they are changed/replaced/cleaned on a frequent and regular basis. I considered a metal filter for my 2007 YZ250F but opted for the paper. The idea that any contaminants in the filter are disposed of at each oil change is comforting. I use the HiFlo paper filter, which is made by the same company that manufactures the K & N filters, only they are about half the price. For an extra measure of protection I use the magnetic oil filter cover from form Zip-Ty racing. Good riding to you

• 642MX

Posted October 14, 2009 - 04:42 PM

I used the K&N 142's (brass mesh) for years with no problems. I have since switched to a SS filter, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a K&N if needed.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 14, 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks 642 thats what I was looking for. Does anyone know the filtering properties of the brass mesh vs. paper?

• FinchFan194

Posted October 14, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Sonic cleaning equipment? Whatever for?

What I want to know is why you haven't looked in Common Threads after all this time. :bonk:

Paper's not better; it's different:
http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

I have looked:thumbsup: it doesn't say anything in there about the brass mesh K&N filter in there. That I saw. . .I am not wanting to know about a stainless reusable.

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2009 - 06:53 AM

Brass mesh OEM type filters are more or less worthless by comparison with either paper elements or stainless mesh of comparable gauge to that of a Scotts. The trouble is that the mesh is too coarse, and they only filter down to around 80 microns, allowing some really large stuff to circulate through the system unmolested.

Brass is also generally too delicate to be cleaned thoroughly without enlarging the openings in the mesh in spots, so they are not truly reusable with any reliability.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 15, 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks Gray that is the answer I was looking for as far as filtration on the brass.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.