Advice On New Bike From Usa.

11 replies to this topic
  • Throttlemerchant

Posted October 14, 2009 - 05:44 AM

My new WR450f is being shipped from the USA to the UK. (Doing this saves me nearly £1,000 on the new price here).:bonk:

I have read that there is a throttle stop restriction on USA models. It requires a shorter bolt fitting to the cable box. Is this correct ? (The bike will be the 2009 model).

Also, what is this green sticker thing ? Will I need to modify something to remove any other power restrictions ?

Any information on USA models is appeciated, especially if it removes pointless power restrictions. Thank you.

• hondapro

Posted October 14, 2009 - 07:04 AM

Well I don't know anything about that specific bike but normally when bikes come from the factory they are very restricted, especially if it meet California requirements. :bonk: The intake and exhaust will probably be quite restricted. Basically you will want to do some mods to get max power out of the bike. You will probably need to re jet the carburetor after opening everything up so you get more fuel to go with all that extra air. :bonk:
In California we have to have all our off road vehicles registered. Bikes that don't meet certain emissions requirements get red stickers and can only be ridden certain times of the year (yes I think it is really dumb too). Green sticker bikes can be ridden any time.

That's as much as I know, hope it helps. :bonk:

• Throttlemerchant

Posted October 14, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well I don't know anything about that specific bike but normally when bikes come from the factory they are very restricted, especially if it meet California requirements. :bonk: The intake and exhaust will probably be quite restricted. Basically you will want to do some mods to get max power out of the bike. You will probably need to re jet the carburetor after opening everything up so you get more fuel to go with all that extra air. :bonk:
In California we have to have all our off road vehicles registered. Bikes that don't meet certain emissions requirements get red stickers and can only be ridden certain times of the year (yes I think it is really dumb too). Green sticker bikes can be ridden any time.

That's as much as I know, hope it helps. :bonk:

Thanks. That green sticker, red sticker thing sucks. I`m surprised the American public took that without protest. I expect it was a "tree hugging weard beard" type of person that came up with that idea. Riding your red sticker bike kills polar bears does it ?

• hondapro

Posted October 14, 2009 - 08:17 AM

:bonk: :bonk:

Yea yea got it exactly haha! I don't even mind paying the $50 every two years because it is "supposed" to help pay for our OHV parks and paying the people who work there. But that's not always what the money goes to.

• wicklowmxr

Posted October 14, 2009 - 09:16 AM

I was wondering how much it would be to do this also, Id imagine it would not be that much cheaper since you would have to pay for shipping and taxes etc. Would you mind telling me how much the taxes and shipping are for you because i would be very interested in doing this, the taxes will be the same for us because I live in Northern Ireland. Thanks

• Throttlemerchant

Posted October 15, 2009 - 10:38 AM

I was wondering how much it would be to do this also, Id imagine it would not be that much cheaper since you would have to pay for shipping and taxes etc. Would you mind telling me how much the taxes and shipping are for you because i would be very interested in doing this, the taxes will be the same for us because I live in Northern Ireland. Thanks

Yes, no problem. It`s much easier than having to do it all yourself. I can get you sorted.
The list price of a new UK WR450f is £6199. The best deal I could get was £5995. A company called DK motorcycles in Newcastle under Lyme will import one from the USA and just sell it to you. All done! Just like walking in to the shop and just buying a bike. They sort it all. Cost £4999. Just call them and order one. 01782 338700. Then, Just nip over the water and collect it when it arrives. simple saving !:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted October 15, 2009 - 11:56 AM

Search "free mods" you will have the same US restrictions in place since 07' on that bike.

They include the throttle stop, pea shooter, grey wire, AIS removal and air box mods.

Good Luck!

• ww44wrf450f

Posted October 16, 2009 - 04:48 AM

My 2cents worth?? I would order an --- ais kit, aftermarket full exhaust(Dr.D or 4.1)with the quite core insert?? you will eventually?? and some extra muffler packing.

• Throttlemerchant

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:47 AM

My 2cents worth?? I would order an --- ais kit, aftermarket full exhaust(Dr.D or 4.1)with the quite core insert?? you will eventually?? and some extra muffler packing.

Thanks for the reply. I have a problem with aftermarket pipes. I have never ever changed a standard pipe in my life. I will modify the original if there is an un- natural restriction (I.E The relevant Governments and tree huggers would rather it be restricted rarther than it be a manufacturers decision). Otherwise I trust the manufacturer with their millions of pounds in reserch and development over some tipically small companys gasflow guesswork. You only need to burn out a couple of those titanium valves for a huge bill !

• mongial

Posted October 19, 2009 - 09:36 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372

http://www.thumperta... pipe saves big
The first is the sticky for all the mods to "unrestrict" your WR. The gray wire has moved up under the the back left number plate from the original WR250 gray wire mod. All are pretty much the same. The second is a link to various mods people have made to the stock exhaust. Multiple ways to go but I think the best is a full YZ exhaust with an aftermartket spark arrestor, but the route you take is all up to you:banana:. You will not be dissatisfied! Congrats on the new bike:thumbsup:

Edited by mongial, October 19, 2009 - 09:38 AM.
link didn't work

• ohioryder

Posted October 19, 2009 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have a problem with aftermarket pipes. I have never ever changed a standard pipe in my life. I will modify the original if there is an un- natural restriction (I.E The relevant Governments and tree huggers would rather it be restricted rarther than it be a manufacturers decision). Otherwise I trust the manufacturer with their millions of pounds in reserch and development over some tipically small companys gasflow guesswork. You only need to burn out a couple of those titanium valves for a huge bill !

The stock pipe has many unnecessary restrictions built into the pipe to satisfy Government and tree hugger's lobbiest. Some are a quick removal and others require basic mechanicall skills. The information is well documented in this forum and a few links were just provided.

I went with an 08 YZ450 stock exhaust, which is still considered restricted, and found some improvement. It gave it a little more bottom and mid and it hits the rev limiter much faster. I went this route because of cost. If I had the extra money I would have purchased a Dr. D pipe. I have not seen any reports of aftermarket pipes causing valve or engine problems.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted October 20, 2009 - 03:35 AM

Ha,HA,lmfao--:bonk: ???? That reminds me of an accountant cousin of mine when I was a kid-- he was siting doing some math, with a diagram of a 18 speed mountain bike, -- took him about 3 hours to actually figure out that the bike only had 11 gear ratio's, the others where duplicated? -- :bonk: -- he just had to know -- :bonk: -- and please, no bad gas.

Free Mod's
Full exhaust--best bang
used full yz --best bang 4 the buck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.