Is 2010 YZF450 borrowed from Husaberg

33 replies to this topic
  • fairweatherider

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:24 AM

I couldn't help but notice that the 2010 YZF450 seems to borrow a few concepts from Husaberg one year after the new Husaberg engine design was released. The '09 Husaberg 450 used a tilted and backwards motor design to improve handling. Also, the fuel tank under the seat and relocated airbox were done on the '09 Berg. Same with fuel injection. The Yamaha design is nice but not innovative. Perhaps it will work even better. Yamaha also followed Husaberg in 1998 when they made the YZF400. One year earlier, Husaberg introduced the '97 400, the first modern day high performance lightweight four stroke motocross bike, which had a compact engine running at high rpm's. Not trying to knock Yamaha, they might even have a better product.

• ProMed

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:39 AM

You can find more on that discussion here: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=767517

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 11:47 AM

To ask a question like that, you would have to be able to imagine the bike being built, start to finish, since the '09 Husaberg came out. The YZF was likely started as a concept 8-10 years ago.

Go to MXA magazine's web site and search for "Vermati" if you want to know about the roots of the concept.

• YamaLink

Posted October 13, 2009 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, it's not like a Yamaha employee was in line waiting for his Starbucks and opened up a magazine, and said, "Hey, Husaberg may be on to something. Hand me that napkin and a pen. I'm gonna redesign everything we've been working on in Japan for the past 6 years. Double latte? That's me!"

As they say, there's no longer an original idea. Just an improvement on someone elses.

• Wiz636

Posted October 13, 2009 - 01:22 PM

Q: Did Yamaha borrow/build on/ripoff/copy the Cannondale or Husaberg?

A: "Who gives a s***?

The reality is that Yamaha is the first one that will mass produce it in a completely successful package.

• KAS

Posted October 13, 2009 - 01:50 PM

The Husaberg and Yamaha motors aren't even close in their design.

Trying to accomplish the same thing? Sure.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2009 - 01:57 PM

The Husaberg and Yamaha motors aren't even close in their design.

Trying to accomplish the same thing? Sure.

I agree, which is why I don't get where this "Yamaha copied Husaberg" crap keeps coming from.

Posted Image
09 Husaberg 450

Posted Image
10 YZ 450

How are they even close to similar???

• mywifefarts

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:07 PM

Q: Did Yamaha borrow/build on/ripoff/copy the Cannondale or Husaberg?

A: "Who gives a s***?

The reality is that Yamaha is the first one that will mass produce it in a completely successful package.

Makes perfect sense to me!:bonk:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:40 PM

Makes perfect sense to me!:bonk:

That has got to be the all time best screen name EVER! :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pguard

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:50 PM

The Husaberg is mass produced and a completely successful package.

I don't know in the states, but here in Europe the 450s are selling like hot cakes.

Just a note, I don't care who copies who, eventually all manufacturers copy. They all copied Nikolaus Otto didn't they?

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:51 PM

How are they even close to similar???

They're both blue, fuel injected, single cylinder four-strokes, aren't they? Well, there you are. One's a complete copy of the other. :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:53 PM

They all copied Nikolaus Otto didn't they?

Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach:

The Reitwagen

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted October 13, 2009 - 02:55 PM

The Reitwagen

Posted Image

can i have access to your library.....
please..

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 03:02 PM

can i have access to your library.....
please..

:bonk: You do already, at least quite a bit of it.

Daimler is a name you should recognize. He later formed a partnership with a gentlemen named Karl Benz, the accredited inventor of the modern automobile, and you know where that went.

• Wiz636

Posted October 13, 2009 - 03:04 PM

The Husaberg is mass produced and a completely successful package.

I don't know in the states, but here in Europe the 450s are selling like hot cakes.

Just a note, I don't care who copies who, eventually all manufacturers copy. They all copied Nikolaus Otto didn't they?

Point taken...did not mean to be America-centric However, here in the States they are rare.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 13, 2009 - 03:25 PM

They're both blue, fuel injected, single cylinder four-strokes, aren't they? Well, there you are. One's a complete copy of the other. :bonk:

An excellent point! But, Yamaha used blue plastic before Husaberg (1996 was the first OEM blue Yammie IIRC, 'bergs were yellow then) and used yellow plastic way before Husaberg as well best I can tell. So that must mean that the 'berg is a copy of the Yamaha after all :bonk:

• jayh300

Posted October 13, 2009 - 03:48 PM

:bonk: You do already, at least quite a bit of it.

Daimler is a name you should recognize. He later formed a partnership with a gentlemen named Karl Benz, the accredited inventor of the modern automobile, and you know where that went.

yes sir i do...

you just come up with some of the coolest pix's at times...

• mxnut23

Posted October 13, 2009 - 04:50 PM

Today I re-read the 'Berg test today and they changed the motor configuration to centralize the rotating mass. I for one have to retract my a statement I made also comparing the YZ to the Berg. The plastic though is pretty similar to the new Huskys.

• MRD RACING

Posted October 13, 2009 - 07:51 PM

The Reitwagen

Posted Image

that thing must turn on a dime with that rake :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.