Oil Brands, etc

9 replies to this topic
  • wilson

Posted May 23, 2000 - 06:34 AM

Hi guys!
Question on oil brands.
I believe my '98 YZ400 owners manual recommends 10W40 Yamalube or 10W40 SH type oil. I have been using 10W40 SH type Valvoline and haven't noticed any problems with performance. I bought the bike used a couple months ago.

1. What brands of oil do most riders use?

2. Has anyone used Valvoline long term and have you had any problems with it?

I have had to add about a 1/2 quart of oil after 4-6 hours of moderate riding. I see the overflow tube dripping somewhat. I don't notice any smoke from the exhaust, no fouled spark plugs, no oil on the exhaust tip, no leaks. Can't quite fiqure out where the oil is going other than the overflow tube.

3. Any thoughts?

One last thing, I noticed that my rear brake fluid resevoir was low on fluid.

4. Has anyone had a problem losing brake fluid at the rear brake fluid reservoir?

Thanks,
Paul in AZ

• Tim

Posted May 23, 2000 - 05:42 PM

Hi Paul,
As far as oil goes. I use Mobil Delvac 1300 super in all my bikes. It is rated by catipillar for transmissions as well as for engines. It is economical as well. MUCH MUCH cheaper than the yahamalube!! It has more detergent additives than normal to keep the engine sludge free. I learned about it on my Street bike list and there are tons of guys running it in their bikes. Check it out on the mobil web site........

As far as the leakage goes, I don't have any oil leakage at all. Again on street bikes, on high compression engines, oil tends to find any tube or vent to come spewing out of. If you can, try to rig up some kind of catch cup on your tube to see how much is exactly coming out of it. If the volumes match up, then you have less to worry about. If not, now that is a different story. I would then do a compression check and maybe change the rings and have the cylinder honed.
I hope this helps.
Tim

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 23, 2000 - 11:32 PM

Originally posted by wilson:
1. What brands of oil do most riders use?

I have had to add about a 1/2 quart of oil after 4-6 hours of moderate riding. I see the overflow tube dripping somewhat. I don't notice any smoke from the exhaust, no fouled spark plugs, no oil on the exhaust tip, no leaks. Can't quite fiqure out where the oil is going other than the overflow tube.

3. Any thoughts?

One last thing, I noticed that my rear brake fluid resevoir was low on fluid.

4. Has anyone had a problem losing brake fluid at the rear brake fluid reservoir?

Paul.. I run Castrol GPS..
Its a semi synthetic oil designed for motorcycles..
Runs HEAPS cleaner than Yamacrap.
As far as loosing oil I've NEVER had to adjust my oil level.
Can do 20hr on oil (not often that long) and still have full on stick.
Do you check you oil are running the bike for a min or 2?
I did notice last week that my rear brake resivior is VERY low.. Brought the bike new in July last year and havn't ridden it since Jan due to injury. Havn't ever seen any fluid anywhere.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• wilson

Posted May 24, 2000 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Guys,
I'll check these oil brands out. I read a piece in Motocross action last night to check the oil level after running the bike for 2 minutes. I have been checking it cold. I'll try this next time I run the bike. I have great compression and the bike runs really well (other than the slight hesitation when blipping the throttle now and then), so I don't think I am burning oil or need internal repairs.
I do feel like an idoit though. I recently changed the oil for the first time after running the bike for a few minutes to warm up the oil. I removed the dipstick and the crankcase drain bolt. I thought I heard something hard hit the drain pan. I then removed and replaced the oil filter. When I dumped the old oil into a milk jug I noticed a copper-looking washer in the bottom of the drain pan. I had already re-installed a new oil filter and the drain plug bolt so I pulled the bolt out to re-install the washer only to dump about an additional 1/4 quart of oil all over the floor. Then I remembered that there are 2 drain bolts the one on the case and the other one on the frame (I don't like this set up Yamaha!). I'm guessing that somewhere between the drain bolt on the frame and the oil filter there must have been an air pocket holding back the residual oil. Anyway, I'll know better next time.
By the way, I read in MXA that the screen type oil filters can be cleaned and re-used. Is this true and if so what is the best method to use to clean it if you don't have shop air?

I don't know if I have lost brake fluid or not. The first time I looked closely at the reservoir it was low. I filled it and will keep my eye out for leaks. Will advise!

Paul in AZ

• Tim

Posted May 24, 2000 - 01:03 PM

Hi again Paul,
I asked the dealer that I purchased my bike from about those stainless oil filters (about $70) that are supposed to last forever.... He said that he would not recomend buying one, one reason I would guess is that for the price you pay, you would be less likely to toss it out if it gets screwed up. Personally, I bought two extra filters with the bike and I have been rotating them, inspecting them very well. I would not suggest blowing them off with shop air unless you have it regulated pretty low, I am sure you could blow one of those flimsy things apart pretty quick! What I do, is have glass that I fill up with kerosene and I swish the filter in it for a bit, and then let it soak until it is time for a filter change, then let it dry off real good, maybe give it a couple of more swishes first, and then pop it in. Make sure you inspect it real good for separation of the stamping to the screen. I am sure this will not make them last forever, but it sure beats buying new ones all the time! :)
Hope this helps.
Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JBM

Posted May 24, 2000 - 02:33 PM

Paul,
I use Mobil 1 15w50 and it works real well for me and many others. There has been a lot of discussion about synthetic and/or car oils, but just stay away from the oils with the Energy Conserving label and you should be fine. I've had my 426 since December and I'm still using the same oil filter. I just clean it with contact/brake cleaner, just spray it off good, and inspect it, then put it back in. With the contact cleaner it dries in about 5 seconds. The stock filter should last quite a while, but I would keep a spare one on hand just in case.

• wilson

Posted May 25, 2000 - 06:46 AM

Once again, I get some good answers! Thanks guys.
I think I'll try the contact cleaner next time to clean the filter, I have a stockpile of the stuff from cleaning all the fouled spark plugs when I had a '95 KX250! I think I'll go with the Mobil oil, easily found - inexpensive to buy. I live in Arizona so the Mobil 1 15W50 would probably be the "hot" set-up in the heat (pardon the pun). Later...

Paul in AZ

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 27, 2000 - 08:13 PM

If you don't(also)drain your oil out of the frame downtube as required in the manual, you will leave about 500cc's of oil in the bike. I know, since I did the same thing as you.
I raced mx over a 15 year period on 2 strokes only. Who ever heard of two drain plugs anyways...???

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

• wilson

Posted May 30, 2000 - 05:55 AM

I found the source of my low rear brake fluid level. The lid on the brake reservoir was loose and leaking fluid. When I removed the lid I noticed that the plastic reservoir appeared to be bowed outward on the inboard side of the reservior. I filled the reservoir to the upper limit line, reinstalled the cap, and went riding. I still had a leak.

Question:
Should the reservior be a true rectangular shape when looking down on the reservior or is there a slight bow on the inboard verticle surface? I just wonder if mine has a problem and needs to be replaced.

Paul in AZ

P.S. After learning that I need to check the oil after the bike warms up, I went back and unbolted both drain plugs on my bike. I had already drained each plug once and changed the oil filer. Guess what? Almost another quart of oil drained out of my bike. I had been adding oil regularly because I didn't check the level with the engine hot. All in all I had almost a gallon of oil in the case/frame somehow. I think I finally got all the old oil out of it. I refilled the oil to the factory specs and checked the level after a few hours of riding (with a warm engine), the level read full, EUREKA! I don't think I am burning or leaking oil now! What a relief.
Thanks again for the tips.
Hey, I ride better than I wrench - belive me.

Paul in AZ

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 30, 2000 - 12:03 PM

Paul,
About your brake reservoir, brake fluid loves water. It will absorb it any way it can. Once the fluid has water in it, it is contaminated and may corrode the internals to your brake system. I would fix the reservoir and COMPLETELY flush out the system using new brake fluid. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.