xr650r fmf jetting

1 reply to this topic
  • tadpole

Posted April 14, 2003 - 05:26 PM

Hi guys! Wondering if one of you could help me. I have bought a '03 BRP last month. After uncorking it, I have not been able to make the bike run properly. I live in British Columbia (Canada) :) where the altitude is about 2000 ft above sea level. I have changed the pilot jet from a 65s to 68s. I have replaced the stock manifold. I have moved the clip on the needle to 3rd position and removed the plastic and rubber insert from airbox. I put a FMF pipe (powercore IV Q) Then I replaced the main jet from a 125 to a 170. The bike is fairly easy to start and runs pretty good as long as I dont wack the trottle wide open. If I do so, the bike does not like it and wants to stall. I am pretty sure the bike is too rich but not too sure where to start looking :D. Should I change the main jet for a smaller one or should I play with the needle? I need help.... :D <font color="yellow">

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Grimmer

Posted April 15, 2003 - 02:14 AM

When it comes to off-idle response your most effective weapon is your pilot jet & fuel screw. Your 170 main should be fine. I run my needle in the 4th position not the 3rd, but I have heard from people who run it in the 3rd. I run a 68s in mine also, I simply adjusted the fuel screw till I got the response I wanted. The FMF Q does restrict the exhuast a bit more than the uncorked stocker, you might want to contact FMF for jetting suggestions. I would try to adjust the fuel screw first. Do you have the Honda shop manuel? The routine for proper fuel screw adjustment is in there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.