do you have to remove the rear frame to get off the rear shock?

10 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 12, 2009 - 11:49 AM

wondering if the rear frame has to come off on a 426 to get the rear shock out. want to get it out today so help is greatly appreciated. anybody removed theirs before that could help?:bonk:

• 84rm250

Posted October 12, 2009 - 11:58 AM

rear sub frame comes out in like 5mins, and i'm sure it would make it alooot easyer to remove shock.

• WB450

Posted October 12, 2009 - 12:11 PM

That's how I do it.

• Wiz636

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:12 PM

No, you could remove the rear wheel and swingarm instead :bonk: Even then you still might have to remove the exhaust to get the clearance for the shock reservoir.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:43 PM

i striped a hex bolt to the frame and cant get the other one to budge either. its this bolt. i removed the exhaust already. is easy out or drilling the head off my only option. i drilled the head off a bolt to the crankcase before and that workd. any tool that could get it out?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:54 PM

If you used a hex key, or Allen wrench on that, you should have expected it to strip. It's not a hex socket, it's a Torx® bolt, also called star socket heads, and it requires a Torx® bit to turn it. There may be enough left of the head to respond to the right tool if you go get one before you do any more damage. They come in numbered sizes, and that one is likely a #40, but I can't recall for certain.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 12, 2009 - 03:57 PM

:bonk: i took a chisel to the outer edge and got it to start turning and it came out. i was almost positive it was a hex bolt though. the other one came off with the hex socket but it is stuck to it curently now so it makes sense that its a torx bit. thanks

• wakemaker

Posted October 12, 2009 - 08:00 PM

mine is hex on my 98 yz400f you can just take the frame bolt between gas tank and seat an wiggle it out. but yeah its easyer to just take the sub and exhaust off what 9 bolts with the side plates.

• BC3

Posted October 15, 2009 - 06:35 AM

http://im1.shutterfl.../rx=550/ry=400/

When I had the shock and forks done I remembered to take a picture just for this kind of post.....I think it is the only way to go as far as being easier....and having everything out in the open ....

• osheen

Posted October 16, 2009 - 09:30 AM

I've never seen Yamaha use a Torx bolt in that location. It is socket head that uses a 6mm hex key. Yamaha part # 90110-08096-00 "BOLT, HEX SKT HEAD". I always make sure I use a hex key that is sharp and not rounded. So glad they went to a hex bolt in the more recent years.....

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 16, 2009 - 10:13 AM

i think it is a hex bolt because i ordered new ones and it said hex something by the part number.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.