XR650R vs 650L vs KTM 625 SXC

57 replies to this topic
  • marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Lol. Yep that would be him.

• Thumper3

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Thumper I remember Ole Glenn.. He was asked by quite a few top guys on here at the time back then for some dyno proof or even a few pics of the bike and he produced nothing..

References to the XRR were made even back then..  Then he had a meltdown after he probably figured out he couldn't BS his way out of his unsubstantiated claims..

It's an XRL thats been modded and i'm pretty sure you of anyone know its limitations and what can be done with it.. Old glenn amused quite a few back then..

Heres one of his old posts :lol:

there may bhe a few good guys on this board but from what i'm hearing i think this board is just a clown hang out, i mean one guy says something totaly false and talks like he really knows what he is saying and then the next guy says some stupid stuff about the cut on a shaft that was cut with a precise hundred thousand dollar machine that is used for cutting. you guys with all that mouth should shut the hell up more often and you might learn something. you guys will always be slow and heavy because your to busy trying to sound smart but your lacking the brain cells to listen and learn.

p.s im in nc and ready to give all you losers some real honda power!!

Watch out !! .. he has the Power.. .... :smirk: 

•  

Yeah, i was under the impression that by boring the engine out, changing the cam and even a good port and polish on the head will still only add 5-7hp....and still keep the rwhp under 40... 52 rwhp seems to be a little off. Regardless, a pig on a strict diet with all the engine mods would be an absolute blast to own for ripping through the woods.

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:04 PM

He did have the paperwork to prove it. Didn't matter to me. It was in ment condition and would straight up haul a**. I was deciding btw a plated wr450 and the xr. The wr was $2000 less, had a few scratches but was mostly stock. The xr felt slightly heavier but was faster than the wr and I thought it would be more reliable on the highway

• jetfuel

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:09 PM

After 40 years of riding it doesn't matter to me if its Red Blue Green Orange and XXX pounds with XX HP as long as its fun for Y O U is all that matters..  

carry on... :ride:

• Firestone

Posted February 11, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Right on Jet! 

Thump you got a build thread?

• Thumper3

Posted February 12, 2015 - 02:08 AM

Right on Jet! 

Thump you got a build thread?

Yup. Go to search and punch in " a pic of my 284 lb xrl "( I dont know how to post links..lol). Just check around those pages for other threads as well. This is where i made the mistake of claiming my pig  lost 40 lbs and weighed 284 lbs. I got raked over the coals by a lot of members. Some friendly arguments took place. Some of the content got deleted. Lots of fun. :lol: .I orginally weighed it at the town dumps scales which were inaccurate. I actually had to search around for a smaller scale...bring in my own weights  from my gym to make sure it was indeed accurate. Then the real weigh in was "292"...32 pounds down. Not 40 as i had orginally thought...but more than the 15-20lbs that a few members on here had insisted on. 292(dry), is the best it is going to get unless you shave the flywheel and go to a kickstart and such. :thumbsup:

• Firestone

Posted February 12, 2015 - 05:11 AM

I'm targeting the 27lb frame. I think you can take 10lbs off of it with a race grade titanium or chromoly frame. I thought you could do it with aluminum but I don't think so anymore and have the strength of the original design. The The XR650R has an aluminum frame but it weighs.. About 27lbs lol. On my shipping scale which I judge as approximate.

• marvin willis

Posted February 12, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I asked the wife if I could stand it up on the bathroom scale to see and that was a big NO

• rboe

Posted February 12, 2015 - 12:03 PM

Just don't do it in the bathroom and you should be fine...... ;)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marvin willis

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:25 PM

Lol

• Thumper3

Posted February 13, 2015 - 01:55 AM

I'm targeting the 27lb frame. I think you can take 10lbs off of it with a race grade titanium or chromoly frame. I thought you could do it with aluminum but I don't think so anymore and have the strength of the original design. The The XR650R has an aluminum frame but it weighs.. About 27lbs lol. On my shipping scale which I judge as approximate.

...Race grade titanium?? :facepalm: .I thought i was obsessed with making the pig lighter. Your taking it to a whole new level. I will pass the torch onto you. Good luck with your project. Make me proud. :lol:

Edited by Thumper3, February 13, 2015 - 01:56 AM.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Is there such a thing as non-race-grade Ti?  :)

• Firestone

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Race Grade has red strapped to it and a yellow wing ;-)

• hodakaharold

Posted February 14, 2015 - 06:03 AM

The big issue is that I have $2800 in my R and  to get the KTM with a similar setup would cost 3 times that, maybe more.

Edited by hodakaharold, February 14, 2015 - 06:42 AM.

• Firestone

Posted February 14, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Harold, saw your original post. Just fyi, when I shopped in 13' and bought my L, the new KLR weighed 420lbs, probably wet, the L weighed 349lbs wet, like 324 dry. Your R is sweet, I like the air cooled motors myself and can still buy new. The KTM is a sweet bike too, but doesn't make me feel at home (450) like the L. Havn't rode 690 yet. Sat on it.. Feels like an overgrown 450 in the showroom?

• backwoods73

Posted February 19, 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hey thumpers, i need answers and you guys are a way better source than the shops. Got a 2015 xr650l bone stock , now what. What would you change ? Whats a good exhaust, tank (with the clark 4.7 can you still use the stock shrouds?),does a new header pipe make that much difference? K and n filter? With new pipe and k and n do i have to rejet? Whatelse? Help me out here, thanks

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 19, 2015 - 02:55 PM

What are you going to be doing withg it?

Tight backwoods trails and more power helps very little, lotsa sand and more power will be much appreciated, etc.

• Firestone

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:00 PM

It was kind of hard for me to determine what mods I could justify with my new bike. Spend all that money on a new bike, then put a couple more grand in moods. But, if you look at the price of a 690R then the mods kind of come into perspective on the L. 

Stage "1"

Daves Carb mods and 55/158 Jetting at sea level to maybe 3000msl.. You'll need a D tool to adjust carb air screw on a '15.

UNI Foam Type Filter (cage is included with those)

Uncork Muffler

Remove Snorkel

Get a real fuel tank. No aftermarket tank accepts stock shrouds.

Change the handlebars.

Stage "2"

RE-Gear 15/48

Dump the deathwings, MT-21 Front and D606 Rear 130/90

Perform Spuds Battery Mod

Remove Smog stuff and block off ports

Stage "3"

Aftermarket exhaust. Your choice of loudness vs performance. I have FMF and love it., both header and muffler.. Big difference over uncorked stock muffler.

Into dirt? add risers and steering damper.

Stage "4"

USD's and rear shock mods.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.