XR650R vs 650L vs KTM 625 SXC

57 replies to this topic
  • Firestone

Posted February 10, 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have not rode the KTM 625. I have rode the 450EXC. I own a '13 650L. It is uncorked and lightened. The XR is a little heavier obviously but it has more power. If you ditch the heavy rear battery and box, it makes a huge difference in cornering. For all around I'm happy with my L. It grows with you, keep modding as you get to be a better rider. Next mods will be a pumper carb and higher compression piston with hotter cam. Oh, I put USD resprung forks on mine.. Worth every penny.

• backwoods73

Posted February 10, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply firestone, i got a dumb question, what it involved in the "uncorking" proccess ?. Experience is not an issue , ive never been without a dirt bike since i was 5 yrs old (47 now). MR50,GT80,YZ80,RM100,RM250,YZ250,YZ490,KX500. But ive never had an enduro,(GT80 Doesnt count lol). So ill have more questions about what to do to trick it out. Ive waited a LOOONG time for one and i want it to be bad as@ !!

• backwoods73

Posted February 10, 2015 - 02:50 PM

ok thumpers, i can get a plated 03 ktm 625 sxc w/1000 miles for $4k . Is that a good deal and is that a good bike for 150-200 rides or will i be sore as hell ? Havent rode it yet.

• backwoods73

Posted February 10, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Also, is a ktm 625 sxc good for commuting to work (20 each way) thanks

• Thumper3

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:07 PM

I have not rode the KTM 625. I have rode the 450EXC. I own a '13 650L. It is uncorked and lightened. The XR is a little heavier obviously but it has more power. If you ditch the heavy rear battery and box, it makes a huge difference in cornering. For all around I'm happy with my L. It grows with you, keep modding as you get to be a better rider. Next mods will be a pumper carb and higher compression piston with hotter cam. Oh, I put USD resprung forks on mine.. Worth every penny.

Although a lightened xr650l makes a big difference especially with gearing and jetting...i doubt it has more power than a ktm 450 exc. The xr650l makes about 32 rwhp. The Ktm 450 exc about 45. Plus the ktm is a lot lighter.  Perhaps the case is that the xr650l has more bottom end torque, creating the illusion of more power.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 10, 2015 - 03:45 PM

Illusion of more power, or more usable power when the going gets tough?

Sometimes low-rpm torque is better for making it through a tough section, and therefore faster by virtue of the fact the other guy stalled 10 times or just got wore out.

All depends on what you like to do...

• marvin willis

Posted February 10, 2015 - 06:54 PM

Nobody leaves their bike stock. If your looking at buying a bike look at what you can do to it to get more power and less weight. Both you can do to a L very cheaply. My bike stock dynoed at 29hp. After mods 52hp at the rear wheel. Minus 50lbs. I haven't found a bike that can keep up with me yet

• Chuckster

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Hondas are very reliable. Lc4 has issues if you look em up.

Also the vibes, only you know if it will work. I suspect for many it diesnt, that's why there are so many lc4 low mileage out there. The owner really really wished it worked for him, but it doesn't. .

• Firestone

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:52 PM

ok thumpers, i can get a plated 03 ktm 625 sxc w/1000 miles for $4k . Is that a good deal and is that a good bike for 150-200 rides or will i be sore as hell ? Havent rode it yet.

Thanks for the reply firestone, i got a dumb question, what it involved in the "uncorking" proccess ?. Experience is not an issue , ive never been without a dirt bike since i was 5 yrs old (47 now). MR50,GT80,YZ80,RM100,RM250,YZ250,YZ490,KX500. But ive never had an enduro,(GT80 Doesnt count lol). So ill have more questions about what to do to trick it out. Ive waited a LOOONG time for one and i want it to be bad as@ !!

Backwoods, my uncorking was simply opening up the air box and changing to aftermarket header and exhaust and doing Dave's mods.With your level of experience you need to go straight to CW. He can build you a 60HP XR motor. Mine is still stock inside but as someone mentioned the heavy torque snap down low when you gear down to 14/48 or less is impressive, and utterly usable even on tight single track for me. I'm 6' and 200lbs the bike is now down to around 310lbs. It will not rev like the other motors as some mentioned but if that's what you want CW can fix that.

honda66.jpg

honda68.jpg

Edited by Firestone, February 10, 2015 - 08:55 PM.

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 02:10 PM

That's what I love about the xr. You don't have to rev the motor to get the power. It pulls hard from low rpms. Can't say enough good things about it. When I bought mine I already had two gsxr1000s and sod both and kept the xr. Haven't regretted it once.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper3

Posted February 11, 2015 - 03:32 PM

Nobody leaves their bike stock. If your looking at buying a bike look at what you can do to it to get more power and less weight. Both you can do to a L very cheaply. My bike stock dynoed at 29hp. After mods 52hp at the rear wheel. Minus 50lbs. I haven't found a bike that can keep up with me yet

So...you managed to get another 23hp to the rear wheel. 52 you say. So that means your xrl is probaly pushing 63+ hp at the crank? I have taken 32 lbs off of mine. Its stripped pretty good. You sau you dropped "50" lbs off of yours. Thats 18 lbs more than mine. Please enlighten me. ;)

• Firestone

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Easy Thumper. Down boy down. ;-)

It is possible to build a 60HP motor and I was quoted around $3K this year to build one. But my finances didn't follow through so I'll have to wait a year.

I'm working on a project to lighten the XRL to about 290lbs which is about 10lbs less than anyone else I've seen.

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:24 PM

I wish I could take credit for building my bike but I bought it that way. There was a huge write up about it from the original owner on this site until a buck of people pissed him off so he never posted anything again. He was a honda mechanic trying to but the ultimate xr. I think if you looked up ultimate xr on this site you can find it. Basically it's got a 600 crank, no battery, no pass foot pegs, no smog crap, no mirrors or turn signals, aluminum sprockets, big gun exhaust, handlebars (name brand? Not looking at my bike), trail tech speedo and headlight, aftermarket tail light, no ignition switch, just a kill switch, etc... I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. As far as power that's a long list too. Bought the bike a year old for 5600. Went to buy a new one and build it and ran into this guy at the dealership wanting to sell his xr. Best decision I ever made.

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thought of some more...Clark tank,xr600 side cover,no helmet lock, no rear frame under the rear fender. I'll think of more I'm sure

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Found the post
http://www.thumperta...ost__p__3277380

• Thumper3

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:44 PM

It is possible to build a 60HP motor and I was quoted around $3K this year to build one. But my finances didn't follow through so I'll have to wait a year.

I'm working on a project to lighten the XRL to about 290lbs which is about 10lbs less than anyone else I've seen.

You need to look a bit closer.  Mine is currently at 292. If i follow through and get 3 lbs taken off of the flywheel...289lbs....your move..lol

• Thumper3

Posted February 11, 2015 - 04:56 PM

I wish I could take credit for building my bike but I bought it that way. There was a huge write up about it from the original owner on this site until a buck of people pissed him off so he never posted anything again. He was a honda mechanic trying to but the ultimate xr. I think if you looked up ultimate xr on this site you can find it. Basically it's got a 600 crank, no battery, no pass foot pegs, no smog crap, no mirrors or turn signals, aluminum sprockets, big gun exhaust, handlebars (name brand? Not looking at my bike), trail tech speedo and headlight, aftermarket tail light, no ignition switch, just a kill switch, etc... I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. As far as power that's a long list too. Bought the bike a year old for 5600. Went to buy a new one and build it and ran into this guy at the dealership wanting to sell his xr. Best decision I ever made.

Ok...but thats still not going to add up to a 50 lb loss. There is a guy on here with a xr600r thats plated that came in around 282 dry. If what you claim is true for your xrl650 in terms of weight and power...it would be lighter and have more power than a xr650R.....just sayin.

• Thumper3

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:16 PM

I think you will find that if you put your xr on a accurate set of scales with all thats been taken off including the the addition of the xr600r crank/kick starter ect, the actual weight loss would be around 40 lbs. which is still Awesome. :thumbsup:

• marvin willis

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:19 PM

It's pretty much a stroked 600. I have only sat on a 650r and pushed it around a little around the shop and yes mine feels lighter. I can tell you I have a good friend with a rmz450 and I have raced both and my xr is faster. I have a baby now so I don't get much time to ride these days but if I get the chance some time soon I'll get it on the scale. I can tell you it started with 27rwhp stock and ended up with 52rwhp. My best friend rides a L too and his bike feels like a klr650 compared to mine and his bike has a crf450 front and rear suspension

• jetfuel

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ok...but thats still not going to add up to a 50 lb loss. There is a guy on here with a xr600r thats plated that came in around 282 dry. If what you claim is true for your xrl650 in terms of weight and power...it would be lighter and have more power than a xr650R.....just sayin.

Thumper I remember Ole Glenn.. He was asked by quite a few top guys on here at the time back then for some dyno proof or even a few pics of the bike and he produced nothing..

References to the XRR were made even back then..  Then he had a meltdown after he probably figured out he couldn't BS his way out of his unsubstantiated claims..

It's an XRL thats been modded and i'm pretty sure you of anyone know its limitations and what can be done with it.. Old glenn amused quite a few back then..

Heres one of his old posts :lol:

there may bhe a few good guys on this board but from what i'm hearing i think this board is just a clown hang out, i mean one guy says something totaly false and talks like he really knows what he is saying and then the next guy says some stupid stuff about the cut on a shaft that was cut with a precise hundred thousand dollar machine that is used for cutting. you guys with all that mouth should shut the hell up more often and you might learn something. you guys will always be slow and heavy because your to busy trying to sound smart but your lacking the brain cells to listen and learn.

p.s im in nc and ready to give all you losers some real honda power!!

Watch out !! .. he has the Power.. .... :smirk: 

•  

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.