throttle stop length for 99 YZF

4 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 21, 2000 - 03:50 AM

Hey Guys,
I am a regular on the WR websight. I have un-did all the bogus mods Yamaha did to change the YZ to a WR. I shortened my throttle stop to allow for full throttle opening. The directions seemed a little wrong or vague. What I did was with the stop removed, opened the throttle fully. Then I cut down the throttle stop to allow the same achievable position of the throttle. Now I am wondering whether or not I shaved off too much. There has been some mention if too much is removed, it screws up the TPS or some other electrical input to/from the carb. Have any of you guys ever removed the throttle stop on your 99 YZF? Any idea what-so-ever the OVERALL length of the throttle stop? My only option at this point is to order a YZ throttle stop from my local Yamaha dealer. If I knew the actual length, I could zip off to the hardware store and rummage through their bolt collection and make my own with the right pitch bolt and two jam nuts.
My bike stumbles so severely at the top end, I am wondering if it the ignition somehow. My revs seem too low to be the rev limiter. My jetting should be close to ballpark, according to Clark, our carb guru. So I am approaching this problem one step at a time.
Thanks! Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 05-22-2000).]

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 22, 2000 - 06:52 AM

Kevin,

I've never had mine off. The guys over here are pretty helpful, but I doubt that anyone knows....sorry.

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 22, 2000 - 07:22 AM

Chris,
If you ever get a wild hair, it spins off w/ a 6mm or 7mm wrench.
I will be heading to the dealer. I might as well do it right.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted May 22, 2000 - 04:20 PM

Went to the bike shop today. The only way to buy the throttle stop from Yamaha is to buy a new carb.
Now I will have to try the carb warehouse in Ohio, unless one of you guys feels like spinning yours off to lend me a hand...???

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat.

• jj

Posted May 22, 2000 - 06:26 PM

Hey Kevin.

I've got a throttle stop for my 99 WR right here the uncut length is 24.10mm. Looking at the Throttle stop directions in this forum it looks as though you should remove 8mm. I've heard you should remove anywhere from 8mm to 9mm to get it to the right length. I think what I'll do is start with 8mm and work to 9mm if I need too.

Good Luck!

JJ

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.