WR426 ... 2 idle speeds ??

7 replies to this topic
  • mycr500

Posted April 14, 2003 - 02:01 PM

My 01' WR426 seems to have 2 idle speeds. When the throttle is closed, its seems to go
to a "fast" idle, then later drop to a lower idle speed, where it stays. The delay
is not always the same, it is at least 4 seconds, but sometimes longer.

This happens if the bike is in neutral, but it also does this in gear, so there is
power behind it.

Any one else experience this? Could the accelerator pump be continuing to pump
somehow? The bike has 86 miles on it.

• HaremScarem

Posted April 14, 2003 - 10:23 PM

I maybe wrong, but it sounds like your a little lean. Turn your fuel screw OUT 1/4 turn and try again. This may require the idle adjustment to be corrected after the fuel screw is set.

• waynewr

Posted April 15, 2003 - 04:26 AM

I agree, definatly too lean on the pilot circuit. My bike did this until I rejetted. The pilot circuit has to be under control before you can work on the main jetting. You should do the BK mod and even consider the James Now mod. I have done both and the things runs trouble free with no plug fouling.

• WR_Jason

Posted April 15, 2003 - 07:24 AM

I agree, sounds lean. More than just the pilot air screw by the sounds of it, you probably need a larger PJ but try the Pilot air screw but make sure you run it in first to see how far out you are, I think they say you should not go over 2 1/2 turns out with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mycr500

Posted April 15, 2003 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for your replies.
Can you give me a pointer to the BK and JamesNow mod,
I'm not famaliar with these.

• YamaGeek

Posted April 15, 2003 - 11:24 AM

Mine did the same as you describe. Just adjusting the idle down fixed mine.

• waynewr

Posted April 15, 2003 - 11:50 AM

I tried to just adjust the air screw before I did any jetting and it drove me crazy. Any slight variation in air temp etc and the idle would "hunt" again. Try one size larger than stock on the pilot jet.
My cyber skills are not up to these other fellows but the BK mod and James Now mod were covered in detail a couple months ago.

Can someone send him the links?

Both those mods helped my bike stop hesitating when the throttle was opened quickly.

• mycr500

Posted April 15, 2003 - 05:33 PM

I found the link for the BK mod.
The link for the jamesnow seems to be broken, or out of date.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.