Coolant leaking from little hole in bottom of case?

39 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2009 - 10:57 AM

Went to torque the impeller onto the shaft using the motors compression for resistance...MISTAKE! The little tab that drives the shaft snapped right off. DAMNIT.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've warned about that, or someone else has said, "Aw, don't worry about breaking the shaft, I do it that way all the time."

Told ya so. :bonk:

• BPOTERAJ

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well, I got everything put back together --- i had to hire an atv mechanic in Garden Grove to remove the pump --- but it still leaks for a few minutes until the engine is hot. Is this normal? Should I tear everything apart and redo?

• grayracer513

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:22 PM

... it still leaks for a few minutes until the engine is hot. Is this normal?

Nope. Something was overlooked.

• BPOTERAJ

Posted October 27, 2009 - 06:36 AM

Well, I guess its back to the drawing board. At least now we know hot to tear the engine apart to get to the water pump.

Will I need to replace the crankcase casket again?

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2009 - 07:42 AM

As long as it doesn't get torn, or have a chunk come off and stick to the case, the gasket is usually reusable once.

• micahmorgan

Posted October 27, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Well, I got everything put back together --- i had to hire an atv mechanic in Garden Grove to remove the pump --- but it still leaks for a few minutes until the engine is hot. Is this normal? Should I tear everything apart and redo?

Something isn't right. Is it still leaking from the weephole or somewhere else? If it's still leaking from the weephole and you have new seals in, the only two things I can think of are the seals aren't flush (or put in crooked) or there's no grease on the seals where it rests up against the cover.

The manual says to
-Apply the lithium soap base grease on the oil seal lip.

-Install the oil seal with its manufacture marks or numbers facing the right crankcase

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2009 - 08:59 AM

-Install the oil seal with its manufacture marks or numbers facing the right crankcase

That's a confusing statement. It should read, "facing the right crankcase cover".

The seals need to be installed like this:

Posted Image

• tryan7

Posted October 27, 2009 - 10:04 PM

well im starting to have this same problem on my bike as well but for a temporary fix on the trail today i just smeared some silicon over the hole to seal it up. what do i have to buy to fix all the seals in there or can i just leave it siliconed shut? like is there a seal / gasket kit for the water pump i have an 04 yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2009 - 06:08 AM

well im starting to have this same problem on my bike as well but for a temporary fix on the trail today i just smeared some silicon over the hole to seal it up. what do i have to buy to fix all the seals in there or can i just leave it siliconed shut? like is there a seal / gasket kit for the water pump i have an 04 yz450f

Well that was a good idea. :bonk:

The hole you plugged up is an escape port for either oil or coolant that might leak past the seals to exit to the outside without cross contaminating the other fluid. In other words, it's done so that a bad coolant seal will not get coolant in your oil, or vice versa. You just defeated that safety measure. Clean the silicon out of there before you do some real damage, and fix the leak the right way.

• tryan7

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:38 AM

well that answered half of my question. ill clean the stuff off the only reason i did it was to temporarily fix it while i was on the trail so i wouldnt overheat the thing. i understand what the hole is for. now Is there a fix all kit i need to buy for it? i see everyone on this thread has bought a different seal. so i would like to just replace the whole shabang. got any partnumbers?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2009 - 09:16 AM

ill clean the stuff off the only reason i did it was to temporarily fix it while i was on the trail so i wouldnt overheat the thing.

It wasn't a fix of any kind. Plugging the hole will not stop the seal from leaking coolant, but it will stop it from escaping to the outside before it pushes past the oil seal, contaminates your oil, peels off your clutch linings, and destroys your engine. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with it.

Check your oil for signs of a milky appearance, an overall gray look, or actual coolant at the bottom of the sump/frame next to the drain plug. If it was an oil leak, check the radiator for oil floating at the top.

... i would like to just replace the whole shabang. got any partnumbers?

You have to do some of the work:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp

Water pump page: Impeller shaft, both oil seals, the bearing, the #8 cover O-ring, and one of the #13 O-rings

Crankcase cover page: gasket #16

• tryan7

Posted October 28, 2009 - 11:14 AM

ok well i only plugged it and ran if like that for about 15 20 mins you think that will do that much damage or what?

• tryan7

Posted October 28, 2009 - 11:29 AM

so i need a impeller shaft oil seals a bearing num8 and num13?

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2009 - 02:27 PM

ok well i only plugged it and ran if like that for about 15 20 mins you think that will do that much damage or what?

Check your oil. If there's any coolant in it, you'll need to flush the crankcase and oil tank.

so i need a impeller shaft oil seals a bearing num8 and num13?

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp

Water pump page: Impeller shaft, both oil seals, the bearing, the #8 cover O-ring, and one of the #13 O-rings

Crankcase cover page: gasket #16

• BPOTERAJ

Posted October 28, 2009 - 05:56 PM

I discovered my problem --- I was sold the wrong outer seal. They gave me the outer seal for a yz450 motorcycle instead of a yfz450 atv. Theoritically, I don't have to tear everything apart to replace the outer seal. woo-hoo

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I discovered my problem --- I was sold the wrong outer seal. They gave me the outer seal for a yz450 motorcycle instead of a yfz450 atv. Theoritically, I don't have to tear everything apart to replace the outer seal. woo-hoo

Guess what? You've been BS'd! There's no difference in the seals between a 1998 YZ400 and a 2009 YFZ450 quad. Same #93102-12106-00 seal for all years and models.

You should be over in the quad forums

• tryan7

Posted November 01, 2009 - 11:05 AM

ok one more question do i have to pull off the whole case cover or just the water pump cover? to pull the shaft and bearing and seals i mean. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2009 - 03:48 PM

The whole cover.

• BPOTERAJ

Posted December 02, 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hi Grayracer

I'm still leaking from the weap hole.

In your post of 10-27-2009 @ 9:59, you showed made this statement:

The seals need to be installed like this:

Oil Side ] shaft [ coolant side

NOT like this:

Oil Side [ shaft ] coolant side

When looking at the outer seal, one side is "open" and the other side is solid. If I'm understanding your diagram correctly, the "solid" side should face the engine and the "open" side should face out toward the impeller. Is that correct? I installed the open side facing toward the engine.

Believing that I installed the seals properly, I have subsequently replaced the radiator cap and the two thermo sensors behind the radiator. What do you think is the probability that my head gasket is going bad creating pressure in the system which is relieving itself through the water pump seal?

Thanks again for your help

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2009 - 11:45 AM

When looking at the outer seal, one side is "open" and the other side is solid. If I'm understanding your diagram correctly, the "solid" side should face the engine and the "open" side should face out toward the impeller. Is that correct? I installed the open side facing toward the engine.

It sounds from that as if you have the seal in backward. In that position, it has no chance whatsoever to seal against even half normal cooling system pressures. I doubt there's anything wrong with your head gasket.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.