Help Clutch Problems

5 replies to this topic
  • nmmc999

Posted October 09, 2009 - 08:41 PM

I have a 2006 YZ450F and the clutch is not engaging, meaning when ever i pull in the clutch and shift into first gear the bike just dies. I recently had to remove the clutch side case so I could fix a striped out oil filter cover bolt and put new oil in the bike yamalube 10w40. The bike was laid over on its side for about a week so the shop could fix that one piece on the case. Do you have any ideas to what might be causing this problem? We have tried to adjust the clutch cable every which way. I took out the plates and soaked them in oil since I thought the plates may be sticking. Any help would be great Thanks

• thmperpower450

Posted October 10, 2009 - 10:46 PM

I would definietely call the shop that worked on the bike and find out exactly what they did, or if they will fix your problem for free. If your bike went in there running good and came out messed up, I would be pissed.

• lrrs428

Posted October 11, 2009 - 01:58 AM

Had the same problem with my CRF. Is it a stock clutch or a slipper? One time I had just put my slipper together wrong, the other time the clutch basket was warped or somthing because i put a oem one in it (bought a hinson) and it worked fine. lay the bike on its side and take the clutch cover off. acctuate the clutch lever and look for separation of the plates. they dont need much as long as they are loose with the clutch pulled,then it's good. if they dont move somthing is wrong with the assembly being wrong order, missing a part or somthing is worn. one trick an expert at the track told me is when it stalls out trying to put it in gear, is to start it on a stand shift to 5th about half throttle and jump on the rear brake stalling it, and if it works you will hear a awfull noise being what ever was stuck will let go. as he told me try this at your own risk but it worked for him. it didnt work for me after 3 atttempts but that was because it was the basket causing the problem. good luck and let me know, ill try to think of more. Adam

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2009 - 07:46 AM

First, your clutch is engaging. The problem is that it won't disengage completely enough to avoid stalling when you put the bike in gear.

Check for free play at the lever of about 3mm, then for the correct "feel". You can also remove the clutch cover and verify that the pressure plate lifts correctly when the clutch is actuated, and that there is no damage to the cover that is causing it to contact the pressure plate.

If it worked before you had the cover off, but not now, try either bump starting it or starting it and pushing it up to enough speed to get it in gear without stalling. Once under way in third gear or so, pull the clutch in and attempt to accelerate. The clutch should break free and disengage normally. Then attempt to come to a normal stop to see if the clutch is still dragging.

Read: http://www.thumperta...842#post7891842

• gumbellion

Posted October 30, 2009 - 03:54 PM

Im having the same problem but i just installed a new ebc clutch kit in my 426. It seems to go through the gears fine but the clutch is useless. The "feel" seems about right. Could the new springs be too strong not allowing the plates to separate?

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2009 - 04:05 PM

The springs could be coil binding if they aren't correct for the bike. One way to check is to loosen the bolts one full turn each, then stick the cover back on and run it for a minute or two to see if it makes a difference. Should show up a binding spring right away. Don't run it too long.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.