Suspension Lubrication

5 replies to this topic
  • CraigW

Posted May 16, 2000 - 10:43 PM

Everyone reading this message do yourself a favour. Shut your computer down and go and strip your rear suspension .

My YZ426 is only 1 month old (max 300miles riden) however I decided to remove the engine in order to do a gear ratio change (1st, 2nd and 5th).While the engine was out I stripped the rear suspension linkages just to check them out. All I can conclude is that the Yamaha factory had obviously run out of assembly grease when my bike was put together.

The bearings condition were border line. Another month of riding and I would have been forced to replace most of them. Water had already entered the bearings and was mixing with the little grease that was still present. I count myself lucky, having just rectified the situation in time.

This is one maintenance activity you have to do asap !!!

Next stop steering head bearings.

• Bryan

Posted May 17, 2000 - 04:40 AM

Good point Craig.

WR400 owners have had the same problem with the stearing head. Mine was fine but many have complained that their bearing was dry as a bone. Probably true on the YZ too.

• alexjoz

Posted May 17, 2000 - 05:18 AM

True of the 99 YZ400 too. Check the whole bike out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 17, 2000 - 06:57 AM

I did mine too. Turned out the original owner had done it, but it was still due.

When my YZ440 gets here I'm going to do it all before it ever sees dirt! :)

Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 17, 2000 - 03:23 PM

I stripped mine easlier this week..
F$@king lieing C&*@ of a dealer!!
I told him to lube all bearings etc in swingarm/linkage and headset..
He said he did it.. but when i strip the rear end I'm up for new bearings and sleeves in the rocker piece..
MAYBE get away without replaceing the others but they're worn a little..

Ah.. that feels better! :)

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• YZFWrench

Posted May 18, 2000 - 04:02 PM

I knew how well the factories greased things loooong ago! I greased everything before my 426 ever saw dirt. The steering stem and front wheel bearings still require the most attention.

'00 YZ426

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.