anybody know of good speedometer/odometer?

20 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 07, 2009 - 05:26 PM

i got a 2001 wr426f that im swapping suspensions with a 2002 yz426f. im not sure if the yz426f forks will have the place where the odmeter screws in it, so im thinking ill get a speedometer/odometer to mount on the handle bars. any body know of a good speedometer/odometer i can buy at a good price? im going to dual sport my wr426f anyways so i guess ill just get a speedometer since my odometer wont mount properly i think. in ohio i guess speedometers arent reqired but it will be nice to know how fast im going. i was looking at this one from electro sport.
http://www.electrosp...detail-2266.php
if i get this should i get a universal speedomter cable or the one that says it fits the wr models and crf-x models?:busted:

• 2in2out

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Trailtech.net look at the vapor or endurance computers.

A little advise...use the forum search function before asking a question. It helps keep the forum from getting clogged with questions and repeated answers.

• panaman

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:36 PM

i just got the vector from trail tech for my DRZ cuz my stock one quit working... haven't hooked it up yet.. but its pretty much like the vapor except it doesn't have a Tach.....

the endurance only runs off batteries....

• mrlopez

Posted October 08, 2009 - 07:51 AM

Trailtech.net look at the vapor or endurance computers.

A little advise...use the forum search function before asking a question. It helps keep the forum from getting clogged with questions and repeated answers.

Now how he's going to get power to the unit? Doesn't require 12v?

• panaman

Posted October 08, 2009 - 07:56 AM

Now how he's going to get power to the unit? Doesn't require 12v?

my wr has 12volts...... do the older ones not have it?
if it doesn't, i am sure it has a stator... he could put a small battery and a regulator/rect.

• William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 09:52 AM

All the Trail Tech units have an internal battery. They can also be powered off of the bike. They do not require any set voltage. I believe the can run on 3 to 300 volts, AC or DC. This means on a pure MX bike, you could power them off of the feed to the CDI. Very versatile units. Relatively cheap to replace in a bad crash, the main heads are about $50.00

• 2in2out

Posted October 08, 2009 - 11:15 AM

My Trailtech powers off a splice to the CDI on my 426. Very easy to install. The included mounts are plastic, so I would invest in the additional billet dash.

• RichFZR-WR

Posted October 08, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yep, thinking of putting one of these as well on my 426 as my speedo drive has crapped out.
Went into Yamaha to get a price for a replacement speedo drive, my reply was How much! £87.
Can get the trail tech vapor which has a lot more features on it for £80, the alloy dash is £36 more.......
The dealer told me that because this bikes got no battery the unit for this type of wr has a battery back up that needs to be mounted in the air box.
Nice to hear that it can be spliced to the CDI though.

• William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 11:57 AM

The battery for the Trail Tech is a CR02032 button cell, internal to the unit. Go visit the Trail Tech website. A little poking about and you will find you can down load the users manual and all other documentation.

• panaman

Posted October 08, 2009 - 01:51 PM

I am pretty sure that the endurance is battery powered only... the vector and vapor have a battery and can also be powered off your electrical system

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 02:04 PM

I am pretty sure that the endurance is battery powered only... the vector and vapor have a battery and can also be powered off your electrical system

You are correct sir!

Here is a comparison chart over at Trail Tech.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 08, 2009 - 02:08 PM

i ordered a vapor unit. what wire could i tap into to get permament power? headlight i was thinking

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 08, 2009 - 02:15 PM

also if i buy turn signals for my wr426f do i need a led flasher relay? where should i buy turn signals? i was planning on getting a brake light switch from electrosport so i thought mabye i should just get some there as well. how do i power the signals?

• William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 02:49 PM

You are moving forward and doing more than just throwing a speedo on.

Before you buy anthing, think about what you are trying to accomplish. I assume you want to plate your bike. You will need to find out the requirements for your state.
Does the headlight have to be DOT approved?
TailLight have to be DOT approved?
License plate light required?
Horn?
Signals, what are the restrictions?
Speedo/odo - any restrictions?
Does the headlight have to work with the engine off? How about the tail light?

There is more but this is the broad strokes. If you want to plate your bike, you may be better off with a DS kit (your choices will depend on the laws where you are).

There is more to it than just buying some parts and slapping it together. Done right it will last for years. Done wrong, it may never work at all.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 08, 2009 - 03:15 PM

just need tail/brake light, signals, horn, mirror, plate i think. no inspection required either if you go to title agency to switch the offroad title over. just need the stuff so you dont get a ticket. i put a keyed ignition on my bike last week. i dont even need dot tires.

• 2in2out

Posted October 08, 2009 - 04:23 PM

just need tail/brake light, signals, horn, mirror, plate i think.

Don't think!!! Know for sure. I was sure my 426 could be plated, but my state changed policies in the same week I bought it.

There are lot's of answers here, but the search function and Google are going to yield much more timely results.

Make a plan and identify what you want to get out of your bike, and what it's uses are going to be. You've made a significant investment in your bike and time, and if you've just got money to throw around, throw it my way!!!!

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 08, 2009 - 04:51 PM

panaman lives an hour or so away from me and he says he has converted a dirt bike here in ohio and did not get inspected. you need a head light, tail/brake light,signals,horn,mirror,plate. no high low beam or speedometer required according to what ive heard. i havent found ohios official website with the laws on google yet im looking for it now.

• William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 05:08 PM

State by State MC equipment regulations chart

• panaman

Posted October 09, 2009 - 06:37 AM

panaman lives an hour or so away from me and he says he has converted a dirt bike here in ohio and did not get inspected. you need a head light, tail/brake light,signals,horn,mirror,plate. no high low beam or speedometer required according to what ive heard. i havent found ohios official website with the laws on google yet im looking for it now.

that is correct...
go get your license plate then worry about all the other stuff later...
i still havent even hooked my turnsignals up on my bike... they are pretty much decoration at the momment...

I got so much to do.... i need to hook my vector speedo up on my DRZ, i need to wire up my turnsignas and mount my handlebar controls on the WR....

sometimes its hard to find time when you are chasing a 1 year old around...

• RichFZR-WR

Posted October 11, 2009 - 01:11 AM

I'm glad i live in england, cause it seems much easier to get these bikes on the road.
All i've got is stop and tail on both brakes, High/low beam and a horn.
Road legal enduro tyers, no mx exhaust.
Thats about it, found out that you don't even need a working speedo when i took it for an MOT. Just have to watch out for speed cameras, got to guess what 30mph is........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.