Tearing Side Knobs off Front tire

13 replies to this topic
  • davcon

Posted October 06, 2009 - 06:20 PM

I Ride in rocks, sand and hard pack. Fairly aggressive (I think?) rider on two track and single track. Bridgestone 403, 27 hours, replaced with a Maxxis It thinking it was more suited due to torn side knobs. Now have 17 hours on the Maxxis and noticed many of the side knobs are also torn through! What should I be running?

• KJ790

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:10 PM

Some tires are prone to ripping knobs off, and on rocky conditions they will often get sliced by sharp rocks. That being said, ripping nobs off can also be a sign of too much air pressure in the tire. However, 17 hours is a fair amount of time on a tire, the casing will begin to get soft after only a few hours or riding, so it likely isn't an air pressure issue.

• Jim813

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:24 PM

The Maxxis IT front was never a good tire. Torn side knobs are somewhat common with this tire. Tire pressure could also be a result of torn side knobs, because a higher pressure doesn't allow the tire to absorb as well. What tire pressure are you running? ( I know KJ said it most likely isn't a tire pressure issue, but it doesn't hurt to know).

Also I see you are from Nevada. Do you do any MRAN ( the southern Nevada desert series) racing? In the types of terrain these races go through ( sandwashes, lots of rocks, silt, soft whoops, slick dry dirt with a hard base) I've had good luck so far with a Dunlop 755 or the newer Dunlop MX31.

• davcon

Posted October 07, 2009 - 04:58 AM

The Maxxis IT front was never a good tire. Torn side knobs are somewhat common with this tire. Tire pressure could also be a result of torn side knobs, because a higher pressure doesn't allow the tire to absorb as well. What tire pressure are you running? ( I know KJ said it most likely isn't a tire pressure issue, but it doesn't hurt to know).

Also I see you are from Nevada. Do you do any MRAN ( the southern Nevada desert series) racing? In the types of terrain these races go through ( sandwashes, lots of rocks, silt, soft whoops, slick dry dirt with a hard base) I've had good luck so far with a Dunlop 755 or the newer Dunlop MX31.

Jim,
I ran 15 with the Bridgestone and 12 to 13 with the Maxxis. I've been running the lower pressure since installing the heavy duty tube. I dont race the MRAN, I'm in Northern NV, but the terrain is probably similar to what you describe. Not sure what model of Dunlop it came stock with but dont recall having any issues with it. Looks like I'm going back to Dunlop :busted:

• KJ790

Posted October 07, 2009 - 05:08 AM

Also, I've had very good luck with the Michelin MH3 front tires.

• YamaLink

Posted October 07, 2009 - 06:58 AM

+1

Having said that, my friends who are heavier and have different cornering styles (read: much more aggressive/faster) can rip knobs off easier on the same tire as mine.

Some tires are prone to ripping knobs off, and on rocky conditions they will often get sliced by sharp rocks. That being said, ripping nobs off can also be a sign of too much air pressure in the tire. However, 17 hours is a fair amount of time on a tire, the casing will begin to get soft after only a few hours or riding, so it likely isn't an air pressure issue.

• Wiz636

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:35 AM

If you are getting 17 hours out of a front tire in that type of terrain before starting to tear side knobs I'd say you are doing okay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:37 AM

in the woods i run the MT 16 front and rear on my 450.. the front tire works awesome in the rocks and also in everything else.. my buddy has over 30 hours on his MT 16 and all we ride is rock gardens .. the tire is strong .

i just started to run the MT 16 front and i couldent be happier with the tire.

• Jim813

Posted October 07, 2009 - 10:27 AM

Jim,
I ran 15 with the Bridgestone and 12 to 13 with the Maxxis. I've been running the lower pressure since installing the heavy duty tube. I dont race the MRAN, I'm in Northern NV, but the terrain is probably similar to what you describe. Not sure what model of Dunlop it came stock with but dont recall having any issues with it. Looks like I'm going back to Dunlop :busted:

I don't think thats too much pressure, I usually run about 14 with a heavy duty tube. Like everyone else said, 17 hours is a fair amount of time on a front. Give a dunlop 755 or MX31 a try, or if you still want to stick with Maxxis I've also had pretty good luck with the Maxxis SI front:thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted October 07, 2009 - 11:09 AM

I don't think thats too much pressure, I usually run about 14 with a heavy duty tube. Like everyone else said, 17 hours is a fair amount of time on a front. Give a dunlop 755 or MX31 a try, or if you still want to stick with Maxxis I've also had pretty good luck with the Maxxis SI front:thumbsup:

+1
Iwas running the Maxxis IT and swithced to the Maxxis SI and have much better luck. the side knobs stay on longer and the front tire sticks to the ground much better. I am much happier with the SI

The new SI is a radial, Anyone try one yet?

• LVThumper

Posted October 07, 2009 - 02:46 PM

I have been very happy with the Dunlop 745F up front and the Michelin MH3 on the rear. I race most of the MRAN series and do a ton of trail riding and the 745F up front holds up VERY well. I usually change the front tire every 8-10 months and the rear every 2 months or so. If I were to guess, I would say that I am getting at leat 25-30 hours on my front. I also ride in a lot of varied terrain from sand, silt, gravel, rocky, fire road, and the occasional MX track. I usually keep the front a little higher in pressure than most 16-18 psi up front and 12-14 out back, but I also haven't had a flat in over 3 years.

Good luck!

:busted:

• FinchFan194

Posted October 07, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Which tire lasts longer in intermediate terrain the MH3 or MS3?

• KJ790

Posted October 07, 2009 - 05:37 PM

Which tire lasts longer in intermediate terrain the MH3 or MS3?

They both hold up great. The MH3 is for medium-hard terrain, and the MS3 is for medium-soft terrain. I think the MH3 is the more versatile one, it works great on medium and hard ground, and still works pretty well in sand and mud. The MS3 works a little better in sand and mud, but seems to be a bit unpredictable on hard ground and skip out from time to time.

• thmperpower450

Posted October 07, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Im out in rocks and desert and my dunlop hasn't chunked yet. Back tire (bridgestone) not doing too good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.