will a 2002 yz426f rear shock and forks fit my 2001 wr426f

9 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 06, 2009 - 02:26 PM

planning on buying my suspension back from my yz426f i sold to put on my wr426f. i have a leak in the fork seal on my wr426f and want a little stiffer suspension. will a 2002 yz426f suspension bolt right on my 2001 wr426f? rear shock and forks?

• Polar_Bus

Posted October 07, 2009 - 02:56 AM

planning on buying my suspension back from my yz426f i sold to put on my wr426f. i have a leak in the fork seal on my wr426f and want a little stiffer suspension. will a 2002 yz426f suspension bolt right on my 2001 wr426f? rear shock and forks?

I don't see why they would not interchange, I know for a fact that YZ's and WR's shared an almost identicle physicall chassis and engine (I owned an '02 WR250F ). The WR's were just a different tranny ratios, lights, mellowed exhaust timing, and internal softer suspension valving. I also don't recall any substantial changes between '01 and '02. A lot of guys back in the day, used to strip down their WR's to more of a sleek YZ type chassis (especially the fat WR fuel tank back in the early 2000's)

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 07, 2009 - 05:05 AM

Shock should be fine.

On the forks should also work but they might not have the stop for the odometer spacer.

I have done quick a bit of swapping between my YZ and my all WR on wheels and shocks.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Shock should be fine.

On the forks should also work but they might not have the stop for the odometer spacer.

I have done quick a bit of swapping between my YZ and my all WR on wheels and shocks.

could i mount the odometer somewhere elese if it doesnt. or could i take the spacer of my forks?

• JJRace

Posted October 07, 2009 - 08:11 AM

just remove the odometer and use a trailtech unit. Has 10x the info there and it mounts on the brake caliper and rotor.

They are essentially the same stuff back then. Minor internal differences. You would actually be better off revalving and respringing the WR stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 07, 2009 - 08:32 AM

just remove the odometer and use a trailtech unit. Has 10x the info there and it mounts on the brake caliper and rotor.

They are essentially the same stuff back then. Minor internal differences. You would actually be better off revalving and respringing the WR stuff.

if i buy a seedometer it should have the odmeter on it. will it mount on the handle bars then and i just remove my old one? one of the odmeter bolts is not in the forks but the other is so it may hold on with one bolt idk.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 07, 2009 - 12:32 PM

why do you think a revalve would be better? im getting my yz426f stuff thats in good condition for 150 bucks? a revalve and springs i think is over 500 or at least can be.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 07, 2009 - 04:12 PM

also i was going to get a yz426f rear wheel will it fit ok? only reason is my old tire was almost new and the one on my bike is about 50% tread.

• JJRace

Posted October 07, 2009 - 06:29 PM

The YZ forks are made for the track and compared to what is available now, not that good. very harsh. The WRs are soft and mushy.

Either set would benefit from a revalve for the riding you are doing.

Here is a link to trail tech:

http://www.trailtech.net/

surf you heart out there.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 08, 2009 - 09:26 AM

The YZ forks are made for the track and compared to what is available now, not that good. very harsh. The WRs are soft and mushy.

Either set would benefit from a revalve for the riding you are doing.

Here is a link to trail tech:

http://www.trailtech.net/

surf you heart out there.

do i have too add a wire to the staor to the speedo/odometer or is it operated on a baterry kit?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.