Help me decide (WR or Street legal YZ)

8 replies to this topic
  • FirstXR

Posted October 06, 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hi all.
This is my first post to the forum. I need some help figuring out what to do.
I am going to get my first bike! I have decided to go with a slightly used 08 or newer Yamaha 450..... the question is WR or YZ?
It seems like it may be cheaper to convert a YZ to street legal than to buy a WR. Is that generally true or not? Having never owned a bike I am not sure what to consider before I make a purchase. I want to spend less if i can of course... but it is more important to have the right bike for my use. I am hoping you guys will be kind enough to point out some things that i should think about before I dive in. Pros and cons of one over the other?

I am going to be doing prob 50/50 split between street and trail. My Dad is getting one too and we will likley do a lot of riding to get to trails etc.. (and I will prob ride it to work a few times a week in good weather) So 50/50 is prob a good guess.

Thanks!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:02 PM

Assuming you can convert either one, then pick which ever bike you want.

Do you want a close ratio gear box or a wide ratio?

Do you want estart or kick only?

With that said, the WR is what I would pick...its got all the potential for aftermarket lighting, its got 95% of the wire already there for a dual sport kit. :busted:

Heck its what I went with :banana:

Posted Image

• rm65dad

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:04 PM

WR is your best bet.

• 97 Polaris Ultra SPX

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:08 PM

The only reason to go with the yz would be weight, Its 30 pounds lighter than the wr but would probably only be 20 pounds lighter with the dual sport kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 06, 2009 - 02:28 PM

The only reason to go with the yz would be weight, Its 30 pounds lighter than the wr but would probably only be 20 pounds lighter with the dual sport kit.

My DS weight a pound...if that

On the reaod, the extra weight is nice...heck its nice in the desert when hauling the mail :busted:

Plus the Wide Ratio tranny is hard to beat :banana:

• FirstXR

Posted October 06, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hey thanks for all the insight. Seems to me like it is becoming a no brainer. I'm gonna go with the WR.
Now I just have to find one.
Any advise on Best places to look aside from craigs and ebay
Thanks guys!

• maxtherat

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:25 PM

WR all the way. What my seem cheaper will cost you more n the long run. WR is already set with electrics: battery, charging system, lighting.... Not to mention an 18" rear rim

• ohioryder

Posted October 06, 2009 - 08:01 PM

There's one listed here in the classified that looks like a good deal. Its an 07 but is basically the same as an 08,09,10 (if they should decide to produce them). I dont know the person but its listed in Louisville, Ohio about 45 minutes from Pittsburg, 30 minutes from Youngstown. Seems to have little to no hours on it and like new for much lower cost.

• FirstXR

Posted October 09, 2009 - 10:05 AM

thanks for all the relpys guys.
I will be looking for a WR soon. I just have to get a car sold first....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.