Front Fork seals on 09 WR450

13 replies to this topic
  • mongial

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:35 AM

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the seals on the 09's. Has anyone had problems blowing them out within the first 500 miles on the bike. I am hoping that I just have mud and crap in mine after the enduro from this weekend which is an easier fix but am afraid they are toast.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 06, 2009 - 10:12 AM

I don't know what it is with Yamaha fork seals lately, some people have problems some don't. Some people swear by seal savers, some think they trap dirt. I run them and have not had any problems in just a little over 50 hours on an '08, but my riding is mostly in dust, not mud. I tend to clean underneath the seal savers after most washes and always completely dry the lower fork tubes so that there are no water spots as well.

• chuckfp

Posted October 13, 2009 - 04:35 PM

My '08 seals blew in 500 miles, with no mud or crud. I wiped down fork sliders after every trip. This was dry desert riding, no dings or dents in fork tubes. My 1985 bike with non-USD forks is still going strong on original seals!

• YamaLink

Posted October 13, 2009 - 05:13 PM

This may not be totally related, but my friends who wash their bikes with "hard water" and don't wipe the stanchions down get leaky fork seals, whether it's a brand new 2009 WR or a sweet 76 YZ125 with a Jofa mouthgaurd decal on the front fender.

• WR450FGreg

Posted October 13, 2009 - 08:05 PM

My '08 WR450F's seals leaked after the first couple of rides.

I've now fitted seal savers.
I clean under them and wash the seal savers after every ride.

I also clean/grease under the wipers after every second or third ride.

Haven't seen any weeping at all since i started doing this last year.
Still on the original seals/wipers.

Greg

• djv5

Posted October 15, 2009 - 04:18 AM

Try a good cleaning of the seals, per the manual recommendations.

My 2007seals show some signs of leakage after the first 1,000 miles but I cleaned them and no more problems.

• mongial

Posted October 15, 2009 - 01:57 PM

Thanks guys for all the great advise. They were in deed just dirty so I cleaned em up and its good to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wrfrk

Posted October 16, 2009 - 06:44 AM

It seems a lot of people don't realize you can just clean them out and that you should just do it from time to time. I've never replaced a set of seals yet (cross my fingers) though I've had several leak, but after a little cleaning they leaked no more!!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 16, 2009 - 10:29 AM

It seems a lot of people don't realize you can just clean them out and that you should just do it from time to time. I've never replaced a set of seals yet (cross my fingers) though I've had several leak, but after a little cleaning they leaked no more!!

Are you referring to the dust seals or the actual fork (oil) seals?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 16, 2009 - 01:40 PM

I only had an issue with the left fork leg. It first leaked around 600 miles (I think). Did the film strip trick and it stopped leaking. It started to leak again at 1000 miles so I decided to buy both seals.

Its all about keeping them clean. Ideally you should clean the seals with a film strip after every muddy ride.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 16, 2009 - 01:41 PM

With a long enough film strip you can get to the oil seal without dropping the dust seal down.

• klossWR450

Posted October 18, 2009 - 11:26 PM

manual says to clean and put grease under the the dust seals, it lubricates the slide and prevents dust getting to oil seals

• Wrfrk

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:58 AM

I was refering to the oil seals. I always pulls the dust seals down then run .35mm film strip through the seals. This works like a charm, then I clean up the dust seals and put a little grease on them.

• WR450FGreg

Posted October 19, 2009 - 10:28 AM

I clean up the dust seals and put a little grease on them.

I think I'm a bit anal in this regard ......

I (clean them first of course) fill mine with grease and then push them up into position, squeezing the excess grease out.

I then clean this up with a rag then push the front end up and down, cleaning any grease that slips out, over again and again, until my pushing releases no more grease.

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.