What keeps the right side number plate off of the muffler?

6 replies to this topic
  • Andrejs2112

Posted October 05, 2009 - 04:17 PM

2003 WR450. I am missing the stand-off thingy that keeps my number plate from melting. I must have lost it the other day because now I smell burning plastic and can see it too:banghead:
I can't find the part or name on any parts list. Can anyone help?

• mweitz

Posted October 05, 2009 - 05:03 PM

I have the same problem.

While I don't have an answer to your question specificially I took a piece of 19MM (3/4") rubber tubing (like surgical tubing) and cut it to the right length, then used bailing wire to wire it to the muffler.

While it isn't perfect, it seems to work OK. Just have to make sure it doesn't get moved when your bikes slides around on that side :busted:

I think I have some more floating around the garage, if you want me to send you a piece shoot me a PM and I'll look around.

See link for an example or to order some.

Rubber Tubing

• diegox450

Posted October 05, 2009 - 05:06 PM

I used aluminium auto adhesive tape and some heat insulation cloth to repair mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BKRacing

Posted October 05, 2009 - 08:44 PM

Seems like you guys lost your muffler bumpers, sometimes mistaken for muffler bearings. The TT store has a special going - muffler bumpers, muffler bearings and green powerbands for half off right now.

(I know, that was dumb. Whatever!)

• Pooley

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:09 AM

Put some fresh heat shield on the back of the plastic.

Moose heat shield

• Andrejs2112

Posted October 06, 2009 - 09:22 AM

I stole some insulation from my garage ceiling and made a pad out of it and some foil hvac foil tape. We'll see. I found the reason why it was melting. The original foil and fiberglass was worn away and exposed the plastic. Thanks for the replies.

• YamaLink

Posted October 06, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Adding to the others' input, I believe the part number for the side cover insulator is 5TJ-2174A-00-00

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.