02 WR426F tire sizes?

5 replies to this topic
  • mweitz

Posted October 05, 2009 - 03:26 PM

OK, I'm trying to figure out what wheels to get for my 02 WR426F.

It currently has Dunlop D606's on it:

Rear 120 / 90 / 18
Front 90 / 90 / 21

The manual shows this for tire sizes:

Rear 110 / 100 / 18
Front 80 / 100 / 21

A review of the bike I found online stated that it had 120/90/18's on it.

In any case, what is the correct tire size and how do I determine if I have stock wheels? They are Excel.

Rear J18x2.15
Front J21x1.60

Thanks,

Mark

• redneckj

Posted October 05, 2009 - 07:17 PM

I put a Pirelli DOT front and rear on my 99 wr400. I went with a 120/100/18 on the rear. Nothing rubs.

• Pooley

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:20 AM

The stock rear tire for a 426 is a 110/100. If you want to purchase Michelin tires, they size them differently and a 130/100 would be equivalent.

Per someone's suggestion, I went up a size in the rear to a 120/100 (Michelin S12 140/100) and I will be switching back to stock size when the tire is worn out. I found that the chain occasionally hit against the tire chewing off the side knobs when it is on the loose end of acceptable. I have to run the chain on the tighter side of the range. My chain seems to be the worse for this as well. Also, I had to shim out my FMF Q because the tire was rubbing on the inside of it. Shimming wasn't a problem, but I did have to loosen up the header to get the required play to bolt it all up. Different tires may fit slightly differently due to the knob pattern, so you may or may not need to shim anything.

The larger tire was supposed to help with traction in sand and stuff like that, but as a weekend warrior who rides singletrack for fun, I can't tell the difference...or at least remember from one tire to the other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mweitz

Posted October 06, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Thanks.

Can someone post their rim size? Is the stock rim an Excel Takasago?

Mark

The stock rear tire for a 426 is a 110/100. If you want to purchase Michelin tires, they size them differently and a 130/100 would be equivalent.

Per someone's suggestion, I went up a size in the rear to a 120/100 (Michelin S12 140/100) and I will be switching back to stock size when the tire is worn out. I found that the chain occasionally hit against the tire chewing off the side knobs when it is on the loose end of acceptable. I have to run the chain on the tighter side of the range. My chain seems to be the worse for this as well. Also, I had to shim out my FMF Q because the tire was rubbing on the inside of it. Shimming wasn't a problem, but I did have to loosen up the header to get the required play to bolt it all up. Different tires may fit slightly differently due to the knob pattern, so you may or may not need to shim anything.

The larger tire was supposed to help with traction in sand and stuff like that, but as a weekend warrior who rides singletrack for fun, I can't tell the difference...or at least remember from one tire to the other.

• Alternative

Posted October 07, 2009 - 11:38 PM

Yes stock rims are Excel Takasago, same sizes as you listed above so I'd say they're stock.

• mweitz

Posted October 08, 2009 - 01:15 AM

Yes stock rims are Excel Takasago, same sizes as you listed above so I'd say they're stock.

Thanks.

Sort of funny, but while looking at the tires / wheel sizes I noticed a break in my front dirt rim (right at the edge, from the outside towards the inside). So I found another wheel on Ebay and it looked just like mine. I picked it up for 85.00 (has the axle, nut, wheel, tire and gear spacer) plus 25 shipping. I picked up some new bearings for it as well. Figure for 25 bucks I'd rather just have it all good to go <shrug>.

Mark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.