05 YZ250 Suspension Setup Question

5 replies to this topic
  • seth260

Posted October 05, 2009 - 06:47 AM

1st of all i want to preface this by saying I know very little about suspention settings...
2nd I am riding an 05 YZ250 with stock everything, I weigh 210 without gear, i Ride mostly tracks with a bit of trails when we can find them.

I have been riding my 05 for most of the summer, I have things setup so i am comfortable with the handling (not to say I would know the difference between ok and amazing), my problem is with jumps. When I ride with guys and pace them over large jumps I come in with the same speed but generally come up 6 feet shorter then they are (generally putting my on the flat or casing across a landing. Looking at pictures i bottom the bike out quite often (generally when I come up short on a table or end up flat landing).

What have I done already?
- Set the sag as suggested in the manual
- Set all of the clickers to factory as in the manual
- Found that way to soft, and progressively set everything stiffer until the bike handled Ok and then rode it.

So my question is what can I do? Just from searching around it looks like the stock springs are not ideal for my weight. Could that be part of the issue and if so can I replace the shock and fork springs without changing valving?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree and I should just learn to hit jumps harder.

• Zaz

Posted October 05, 2009 - 07:24 AM

I am in the same boat as you, 200 lbs, 05 yz 250. I also have all the off road stuff on the bike which adds around another 5-8 pounds. At first, I had some problems clearing big stuff at the track, but I found that more riding time helped. I then replaced the springs (.48 front, 5.4 rear) and that worked great for our local supercross style track. Much more seat bounce effect when you need it. A problem came up however, on rough tracks. The forks became super harsh even at the softest settings. Also bad on flat landings. So the end result was that I had the forks and shock revalved by a local guy. He set them up for less initial dampening force and I'm pretty happy now. The faster you go on the track, the better it handles at this point. Hope this helps!

jz

• jwaseman

Posted October 05, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Well, you are a bit heavy for the stock springs.
What are exactly your clicker settings? You may be able
to raise the fluid in the outer/lower chamber a bit to help
resolve the bottoming. You can also try a fluid from
Smart Performance that will help a lot. Here is the link.
http://www.smartperf...m/215VM2K5.html

Hope this helps!

Jwaseman

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 800screws

Posted October 05, 2009 - 07:52 AM

i weigh 215 and ride a 05....i figured i would just replace the springs according to the race tech website...i then used the suggested motocross action settings. that got me within a couple of clicks to have it the way i wanted.

a few weeks ago i decided to have rg3 revalve the forks and shock since they needed a rebuild anyway...what a difference! i'm not sure how other suspension tuners are, but rg3 made my suspension night and day over the stock with heavier springs..they also took out the stiffness the fork does seem to get from the heavier springs(although i actually like my forks on the stiffer side for larger jumps, and yeah u have to go faster with them to make them feel smoother through the rough with stock valving)...

hope this helps.

• seth260

Posted October 05, 2009 - 10:35 AM

What are exactly your clicker settings?

When i get home tonight i will Get my Clicker settings.

• adam728

Posted October 05, 2009 - 11:07 AM

Definitely re-spring for your weight. I've been playing the valving on my 05 YZ250 for a bit, here's what I've found searching many forums.

* The ICS (internal compression springs) have no preload on them, which makes the forks feel less linear. Mine had ~9 mm of freeplay when the floating piston was all the way down. You really want 0 preload. Nylon spacers from the hardware store can take up this space.

* Main spring preload. Again, no preload on the springs, so the front settles too far and is "loose" at full extension. I made 8 mm spacers, took up the 3mm of freeplay and added 5mm preload (pretty standard amount).

* Oil level. Once you get the springs sorted out you'll want to run the lowest oil level you can in the outter tube while keeping bottoming at bay. With the already tiny internal air space higher oil levels lead to greater midstroke harshness. These forks already have a pretty aggressive bottoming system that is active in the last ~1/3 of the suspension travel.

After that it gets into valving. This is VERY much rider preference. 2 riders of the same weight and riding ability might like 2 completely different setups.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  24 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ85 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ85 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

97 YZ250 suspension vs. 02 YZ250 suspension by Brendenob

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ250 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  73 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.