is it necessary to remove the exhaust pipe to change the oil filter on my 01 wr426f?

10 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 04, 2009 - 01:35 PM

was going to change the oil filter but didnt want to remove the exhaust pipe like it says to in the manual. also what do i use to clean the oil strainer?

• maxtherat

Posted October 04, 2009 - 02:23 PM

No, you don't need to remove the pipe for either the oil filter or the strainer in the frame. I usually spray it down with brake/ parts cleaner and then compressed air. If you clean the filter in the frame then you probably wiil not need to do it for a long time.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 04, 2009 - 04:43 PM

how do i get the oil strainer out? i removed the bolt to the oil line and loosened the hose clamp. it seems that ill i need to do is loosen the nut on the end of the strainer but i cant get it to move. im using an adjustable wrench on the nut trying to turn it to the left which i think would be counter clock wise. im facing the front of the bike and trying to turn it left. am i turning the wrong way or is there something i forgot to do? are the strainers usualy on real tight?

• maxtherat

Posted October 04, 2009 - 04:58 PM

You would want to turn the wrench to the left- toward the right grip if you were sitting on the bike. Pull the hose off completly, put the wrench on the nut, and then hit the wrench with a hammer. The key to freeing a tight bolt/ screw is to shock it.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 04, 2009 - 05:02 PM

i was turning it towards the left grip so i guess thats wrong but it seems like it would be counter clock wise to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxtherat

Posted October 04, 2009 - 05:05 PM

That would be righty tighty and not lefty loosey. Try again and report back

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 04, 2009 - 05:45 PM

cant get it off. should i even worry about it was yours ever even clogged or dirty?

• maxtherat

Posted October 04, 2009 - 06:22 PM

My opinion is: has it been checked or cleaned at least 2X since the bike was new? If so, it is probably OK. Check the oil filter for larger pieces of aluminum. If there is, then I would check it. There will always be some metal in the filter so don't be suprised to see some in there.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 04, 2009 - 06:52 PM

what is a big piece? mine had stuff like mabye the size of one or two granes of sand. no bigger than the diameter of a ball point pen but only thin pieces. i just changed the filter and the old one was dirty. i think it caused my last oil change which was about a week ago to go slow when adding oil it took about 15minutes to add all of it. this time it took mabye 2-3 minutes to add oil. i have a new air filter as well. do i need air filter oil to change it?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:20 PM

You need to use an impact socket tool, preferable not the kind you use with a hammer.

http://www.overstock...ci_sku=11382044

• maxtherat

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:30 PM

what is a big piece? mine had stuff like mabye the size of one or two granes of sand. no bigger than the diameter of a ball point pen but only thin pieces. i just changed the filter and the old one was dirty. i think it caused my last oil change which was about a week ago to go slow when adding oil it took about 15minutes to add all of it. this time it took mabye 2-3 minutes to add oil. i have a new air filter as well. do i need air filter oil to change it?

What you are seeing is normal. Yes you do need filter oil unless you buy a pre oiled brand(Ready) or a K&N that comest preoiled. I like Twinair filters with Maxima FFT oil.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.