difference between 2001 and 2002 wr426

5 replies to this topic
  • mycr500

Posted April 12, 2003 - 02:27 PM

Are there any significant differences between the 2001 and 2002 wr426?

• AZWR426

Posted April 12, 2003 - 08:13 PM

Not really, except I have a real sweet '02 with 300 miles on it for sale. I am out in Phoenix and it is essentially brand new. Call me at 602-770-9934 or PM me. Mark

• Hick

Posted April 12, 2003 - 08:15 PM

Depends on what you call significant.

IMO the answer is no.

The only thing I can think of right now is a minor change to the rear linkage and perhaps swingarm construction.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dangler

Posted April 13, 2003 - 05:28 AM

From the Yamaha brochure upgrades for 2002 include:

-Remapped ignition for a better, more precise spark. (My 2001 starts just as good as my buddies 2002, just BS I think)
-All-new, lighter weight swingarm. (who cares)
-Larger 245mm rear brake disc (whoopie)
-Slightly more forward-positioned handlebar mounts(stock clamps should be junked anyway)
-Retooled suspension settings (???)
-New more durable, lighter-weight front wheel hub (yeah, whatever)

All just marketing selling points....none make a noticable difference as far as I can tell. My '01 rocks, rode my buddies 2002 and even though he hasn't done all the mods that I have, his is sweet too....no noticable difference is the bottom line.

Posted April 13, 2003 - 07:01 AM

heavier rear spring, valving front and back slightly changed

• mycr500

Posted April 14, 2003 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess the swingarm weight doesn't make too much difference. The dry weights show the same for both years. Maybe something else got heavier, or maybe the weights are inaccurate like on most bikes anyway.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.