Help on setting up too soft stock forks.

4 replies to this topic
  • ColoradoXR

Posted April 12, 2003 - 02:06 PM

I'm 6'2 and 245. I've never riden a bike set up for my size, so I don't even know where to begin. Should I go with 48's or 50's for a spring upgrade? Help! Thanks.

• Chaindrive

Posted April 12, 2003 - 04:46 PM

Click here http://valving.racet.../racetechv2.exe to see what Race Tech recommends for your weight and preferences. I am personally a bit dubious about their fork spring recommendations since I, too, had a real problem with severe bottoming of the forks until I went to the max oil volume; which makes everything else too harsh.

I am 6' and 185lbs and they actually recommended SOFTER fork springs :) and a stiffer rear spring. I am doing the rear spring stiffer, but I am going to wait until I can get everything revalved with Gold Valves before I consider different front springs. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted April 13, 2003 - 01:01 AM

I had :applause:Factory Connection :) revalve my forks. Unless I am mis-reading the FC lable on my fork settings, it says FC installed .47 kg springs, w/ an oil level of 140mm. I had thought they went to .41's!

W/ the heavier springs, you can lower your oil height for plushness, but still have bottoming resistance.

I weigh 172 (I told FC 165), ride mild MX stuff (told them casual trail riding). >> I want plushness for these eastern conditions >> rocks/roots.

Pro Action did my first re-valve ($350.00!!!!!!) and the forks were brutally stiff off the top. They were so stiff, I could not ride Moab one day due to the swelling in my forearms. The sheathing that surrounds the tendons swelled after being beaten to a pulp by the SOLID ROCK rippling in the slickrock of Moab.

I DO KNOW Pro Action has done good work, but w/ them being in PA, and me in NH, the R&D is just too pricey for me to ship my forks back and forth, that and the down time of my Thumper is unacceptible.

Go local if you can for re-valves/any suspension work.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 13, 2003 - 05:22 PM

I way 230 on the wr450 and like the stock front fork set up. I put a 5.8 rear spring on but left the front alone. I would try playing with oil level and weight before ordering heavier springs. :)

• Motorod

Posted April 14, 2003 - 03:26 AM

I weigh 240lb but trying to get to 230, and thats what I told them. I ride MX all the time.
Fork: I put in Factory Connection (800-221-7560) FC .49 kg Oil Ht.= 4.8" Bottomed too much, Oil level = 3.15" worked OK for me. Rebound= 8 clicks out, Compression 13 clicks out.
FC 5.8 kg Set spring 10.375" preload. (Do not exceed .6" preload!) Rebound = 7 clicks out, Low compression 6 clicks out, High compression 1-1/8 turns out.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.