frame change or not

4 replies to this topic
  • chuckar

Posted October 03, 2009 - 10:20 PM

i have 2003 YZ450F i ride desert and am going to race D37 scrambles in 2010 would it be worth it to change to a 2006+ frame not sure it would make that much difference since i run a desert tank

alot of people talk about getting a 2006+ YZ for the light weight frame will this help me or just change my CG on a bike i am already use to riding

• JJRace

Posted October 03, 2009 - 11:00 PM

it is a total new motor in 06. Dont believe the previous years swap. Ask gray for sure, but I highly doubt it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted October 04, 2009 - 01:44 AM

Too much stuff to change over. You would be better off selling the 03 and buying a 06+. The newer bikes are not any lighter because of the aluminum frame. They just handle better because of the more centralized and lower center of gravity.

• chuckar

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:21 AM

Too much stuff to change over. You would be better off selling the 03 and buying a 06+. The newer bikes are not any lighter because of the aluminum frame. They just handle better because of the more centralized and lower center of gravity.

i will not be selling the '03 for awhile, is still in new shape(guy hurt himself after buying it new and doing sup. race tec forks and feal rear shock and spring, des tank, sdg seat and break away levers) when i got it the bike had very little boot wear on the frame

so when i wear it out i'll get a 2006+ then

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2009 - 08:23 AM

The frame can be swapped, but it's not exactly a straight up, bolt together operation. Your current tank, seat, air box, and none of your current plastics will fit, either.

One of the biggest technical problems concerns where to put the oil. The '06 frame has no oil tank in it, which means a fabricated external tank or a wet sump conversion, which is out of the question for a desert bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.