Reusable oil filter--Flo oil filters

6 replies to this topic
  • crush6742

Posted October 03, 2009 - 03:56 PM

I just purchased, for my '08 yz450f, a FLO Stainless Steel reusable oil filter from PC racing. I noticed that it only had a rubber washer on one side of the filter. The stock Yamaha paper filter had a rubber washer on both ends of the filter. Should I be concerned or does this not matter?

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted October 04, 2009 - 09:21 AM

I run a scotts reusable stainless steel filter, and it only has a rubber gasket on one end. It is the end that faces away from the bike.

• crush6742

Posted October 05, 2009 - 04:55 AM

That's exactly how this is. I guess the reusable filters don't need the gasket on both sides. Not sure what the difference?

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2009 - 07:55 AM

That's exactly how this is. I guess the reusable filters don't need the gasket on both sides. Not sure what the difference?

There is no need for a gasket or seal at the base of the filter because nothing is sealed there. Oil is intended to flow freely around the base, and if you examine the whole situation with a paper filter, you'll see that even with the "seal", it's allowed to do that.

The "seal" at the bottom of the OEM type filter is actually a base pad, designed to allow the filter to be pressed against the filter cover well enough to seal it there without crumpling the flimsy element. The Scotts filter was originally built without this pad because was sturdy enough not to need it. Not all of the low cost Chinese knock offs are, however. Maybe yours will be.

• crush6742

Posted October 07, 2009 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Gray. Hopefully this filter is just cheap in price and not quality. I bought it from the dealer, and they recommended it as a good filter. It says it's welded like the Scotts. One, interesting fact, the dealer never offered the Scotts as an option, and I couldn't find many internet stores that stocked the Scotts filter either. All of my searches on the internet kept coming back to the same filter from PC Racing.

• mxmax

Posted October 07, 2009 - 07:24 AM

I've been using PC Racing Stainless filter for a while without any problems , but to be honest I prefer to go back to the paper filters , at list I know that everytime I change the filter no residue is left on it .

MB

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2009 - 08:02 AM

One interesting fact, the dealer never offered the Scotts as an option, and I couldn't find many internet stores that stocked the Scotts filter either. All of my searches on the internet kept coming back to the same filter from PC Racing.

There's more profit in the Chinese knock offs. You can buy Scotts online from http://scottsonline.com/ or ask the guys ayt the TT store to get one for you.

... to be honest I prefer to go back to the paper filters , at list I know that everytime I change the filter no residue is left on it .

What would the problem be if there was? Because the mesh filters work in a fundamentally different way than fiber mat ("paper") elements, they absolutely stop and hold any particle larger than their rated filtration level. In the case of the Scotts, that means that anything larger than 34 microns cannot pass the filter, ever. So it matters not if the exterior of the filter is perfectly free of all trapped debris.

The same cannot be said of a paper element. They trap much of the smaller particle they catch by getting them wedged between fibers, and these particles can and do work free at times and pass through the filter to take another lap around your engine, perhaps to be caught again next time it goes past the filter.

In a perfect world of my own design, the engine would have two filters, one stainless mesh to trap everything larger than say 34 microns, followed in series by a paper element to remove some portion of everything smaller.

Read:
http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.