yz426 handling

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 02, 2000 - 05:01 PM

I race the Texas Harescramble Series and just bought a 426, I had an XR400, I cant seem to get this thing to handle in the tight woods, does anyone have any tips, ive dropped the forks in the triple tree and shortened the chain as short as possible, its killing my laptimes, but Im not sure its not just me. My XR was much more forgiving but I dont think its the power difference thats the problem I just cant get it to turn.

Norman K.

• YZFWrench

Posted May 02, 2000 - 06:31 PM

Are you running stock suspension settings? I had to soften mine up a bit to handle tight single track stuff. Plus I got rid of that junk 739 front tire for a 756 (or 755) then I put in ALOT of seat time learning how to handle the beast, powerwise, so it's hard for me to believe the 426 doesn't put out a TON more power than the XR (although I've never ridden an XR400). Also, try sitting almost on the gas cap in corners, which is something hard to do on the XR.

'00 YZ426

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted May 03, 2000 - 08:01 AM

I second YZWrench's comments. I couldn't get my 400 to turn until I did both. I dumped the 739 and put on a 756 that I'm very happy with. When transitioning from standing in a straight to sitting for a corner, I use the momentum from braking to move my body forward on the bike. Sitting on the gas cap is about right!

I think if you play around with sitting WAY forward you'll find it really helps. You have to ride the YZ's aggressively or they won't turn :)

Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 03, 2000 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys, Ive already changed to the 756 front and rear, I had an aloop kit on my xr which allows you to get up on the tank, Im sure Im not doing this on my yz, I guess I need some more seat time. Thanks again
Norman K.

• James_Dean

Posted May 04, 2000 - 10:58 AM

-Slide the forks up in the triple clamps 10mm
-increase fork rebound(slower) to keep the front down, and maybe decrease compression a little
-Set the rear sag to the minimum for your weight, making sure it settles under it's own weight no less than 1/2inch
-rear shock - rebound adjuster carries over on compression side a little and firmer adds precision at low speeds.

All these changes will keep the front end down and back up to help shift your weight forward in tight corners( a compounding effect). They will also reduce high speed stability as a trade off.

• JamesD

Posted May 04, 2000 - 11:47 AM

Put lighter weight fork oil in the forks. It makes them more responsive to small stuff. You will have to reset your damping though.

[This message has been edited by JamesD (edited 05-04-2000).]

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.