Rear wheel bearings

4 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted October 03, 2009 - 03:18 PM

I was planning on greasing the wheel bearings on my 2008 yz450. I know the rear bearing is sealed, but I read in a thread I searched that some people grease sealed wheel bearings anyway.
My question is: Should the rear wheel bearings be greased?

• mywifefarts

Posted October 03, 2009 - 03:20 PM

You should put grease on the inside of the dust seals before you insert the wheel spacers upon reasembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted October 03, 2009 - 03:32 PM

You should put grease on the inside of the dust seals before you insert the wheel spacers upon reasembly.

Yup, that is all that is really necessary. Clean the dust seals and pack them with grease every time the wheel is off and be careful with a pressure washer, and your wheel bearings should last a while.

• drumurr

Posted October 04, 2009 - 09:17 AM

Yea i re-greased my wheel bearings, you have to be real careful taking off the thin oil seal cover. My kx450f had a circlip i had to remove first, get some circlip pliers there worth it. Once you remove the cover you'll be able to pack grease around the bearings. Man you will notice the difference the first time back on the bike.

• YamaLink

Posted October 04, 2009 - 07:44 PM

My buddy serviced his 4 year old YZ450F's wheel bearings and it rolled/felt newer than a never-serviced 6 month old YZF; also goes to show how some new bikes come almost bone dry from the factory.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.