09 WR450F Exhaust Preferences?

7 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted October 03, 2009 - 11:07 AM

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death over the last three years. I've used the search function till I'm blue in the face and still do not have any definitive or subjective opinions on which pipe/pipes I should be considering.

I've got an 09 WR450F with all of the free mods, AIS removal, JD jet kit (168M 48P R4), etc. It's time for a pipe. Definitely want to keep the bike below 96dB and would prefer 94dB.

I definitely want a complete system as the diameter of stock header is too small to promote good high RPM horsepower. I think I've got the search narrowed down to 2 exhaust systems.

FMF Q4 SS with YZ or Power Bomb header
Leo Vince Enduro Sport SS system

Anyone using either of these systems and if so what's your impression. Any other systems I should consider. I'd like to keep the price down to the $500/$600 range if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

John

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 03, 2009 - 11:49 AM

YZ header + FMF Factory 4. A lot on here like the Ducach exhaust but it requires you to loosen the headpipe to change the oil filter. Had a similar setup on my last bike and after awhile it became a hassle so I opted to go with the YZ headpipe on my '08.

• JDLowrance

Posted October 03, 2009 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Blue.

What year YZ header are you using? I've got an 08 header I pulled off of my 08 YZ. The diameter is larger than the 06/07 YZ. Would that kill the bottom to mid on the WR? Should I source an 06/07 header?

Do you have a quiet core insert in the Factory 4?

Thanks again, John

• WR450FGreg

Posted October 03, 2009 - 12:24 PM

There are figures on header pipe diameters and weights in this link that might be of some use. I think they are around page 9 or 10:

http://www.thumperta... saves big $$$$

I have a few different 450 exhausts here.
FYI the '09 YZ450F (PowerBomb style) header is smaller in average diameter than the '08 (non-PB) header.

I've ended up settling on the '09 YZ header.
I opened my stock WR450F muffler right up to as free flowing as possible, but I have also tried to keep it as quiet as I can (reasonably) too.

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted October 03, 2009 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Blue.

What year YZ header are you using? I've got an 08 header I pulled off of my 08 YZ. The diameter is larger than the 06/07 YZ. Would that kill the bottom to mid on the WR? Should I source an 06/07 header?

Do you have a quiet core insert in the Factory 4?

Thanks again, John

I have the 07 header and it seems to work nicely. I don't have a quiet core for the factory 4 but I do run the spark arrestor and that does knock it down some. It's not obnoxious but probably not 96db legal either. 123BigcoopDawg576 has the same setup with an 08 YZ header. He may be able to comment on the bottom end performance.

• kvillektm

Posted October 03, 2009 - 04:51 PM

I have an 07 and run fmf ss powerbomb and aluminum Q4 , have thegytr jet kit and quickshot. The bike runs cooler, pulls better off the bottom, and revs a little freer. Also it is not offensive, very nice tone.

• KAS

Posted October 03, 2009 - 06:35 PM

Take a look at the Jardine RT-94. I really like the one I have on my YZ450F.

Here's my review (its a link within a link):

http://www.thumperta...542#post8173542

• panaman

Posted October 04, 2009 - 08:15 AM

i like the stock exhaust... its quiet... and pretty light

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.