What is the most reliable 450.

6 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted October 03, 2009 - 08:28 AM

Hello, sorry about with the thread i didnt know where to put this post so i just put it here. Ok im looking for a 450. The years im looking at is 05 to 09. But im mainly buying used so i will probaly stay inthe 05 to 07 range, but if i get a good deal on the 08 to 09 i will go with that. Ok, I need some help with what brand to go with, honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki. I dont race. But im mainly looking for a reliable bike, i dont want something that im going to hav to adjust the valves like every 30 hours. I usually trail ride, but i mostly like to go to tracks and jump, and stuff like that. And i like to race my friends too. I just want something thats going to be a really reliable bike for me. Thanks! All comments appreciated.!!

• Justin89

Posted October 03, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hello, sorry about with the thread i didnt know where to put this post so i just put it here. Ok im looking for a 450. The years im looking at is 05 to 09. But im mainly buying used so i will probaly stay inthe 05 to 07 range, but if i get a good deal on the 08 to 09 i will go with that. Ok, I need some help with what brand to go with, honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki. I dont race. But im mainly looking for a reliable bike, i dont want something that im going to hav to adjust the valves like every 30 hours. I usually trail ride, but i mostly like to go to tracks and jump, and stuff like that. And i like to race my friends too. I just want something thats going to be a really reliable bike for me. Thanks! All comments appreciated.!!

Sounds like you want a Yamaha yz450f between the years 06-08. There are some great deals on 06's now days and they are pretty much 100% bullet proof reliablity wise.:busted:

• kain522

Posted October 03, 2009 - 02:24 PM

When buying used, the most reliable bike will be the one best cared for by it's previous owner. Having said that, Yamaha does have a reputation for being very reliable. However if the bike I was looking at looked roached or abused, I would pass on it even if it was a YZ. If you're unsure of making that call on your own, take someone with you who knows bikes and let them check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JJRace

Posted October 03, 2009 - 06:46 PM

The 06-09 YZ are great bikes
06 is a awesome year for the CRFs
08 is a great Kawi

Not a suzuki fan at all. The other brands mentioned above and the years are better than the suzukis. LIke said, it will depend on the bike and maintenance on the bike. But 06 crf or YZf would be a strong bike and a lot out there. Price would be around 3k also on either one.

• yz_for_me

Posted October 03, 2009 - 09:28 PM

Generally speaking, the YZF's have been the most reliable high performance 4 strokes out there. Pretty much any year of YZF has been reliable. That being said, I would buy as new as you can afford as they have generally gotten better performance wise year after year. Kain also made an excellent point. Find one that has been well maintained. When buying used, a well maintained bike is your best bet for reliability. I have bought 3 used YZF's now ('01 426, '03 450 and an '07 450) All were well maintained by previous owners and all have given me zero problems.

• Sider_steve

Posted October 03, 2009 - 09:34 PM

People are picking up 08 450's new for 5500 out the door!

• thmperpower450

Posted October 03, 2009 - 10:42 PM

I picked up an 08 for 3800, it was well maintianed and so far a great bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.