Best DS kit for a WR - Trick DS hands down.

12 replies to this topic
  • kwar63

Posted October 03, 2009 - 05:52 AM

I am probably going to start a big stir with my title of 'best DS kit for WR' but after I completed my install and after all the research I did on these things, I am convinced this is the best kit for our WR's.

I recently DS my 2006 WR. I struggled with which DS kit to use but went with the Trick DS kit because it allowed me to use my stock head and tail light. The kit is really slick and clean. The quality of the kit was top notch. The owner Dale was very helpful and also is top notch and very knowledgeable about how these install on various bikes. After reviewing all the various threads and studying each of the kits, there is only one kit best suited for the WR's and that is the Trick DS. My only complaint would be the instructions could have been better and more pictures in the instructions would have been helpful but Dale answer the phone everytime I called and had me lined out within minutes and stayed on the home until the problem was solved.

Dale: Thanks for the great kit and the great service.

Kurt

• Yamaha_James

Posted October 03, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Pictures of you WR now with it's Trick DS kit? Or maybe even before/after shots?

• kwar63

Posted October 04, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Pictures of you WR now with it's Trick DS kit? Or maybe even before/after shots?

I can do pictures. Of course, the nice thing about the Trick DS kit is, the bike looks stock with the exception of a nice clean control box mounted behind the light and the turn signals. I will take some picts.
Kurt

• panaman

Posted October 04, 2009 - 09:10 AM

I kinda thought that the turn signals they use on their kits are a little bulky and look like something from the 1980's

• kwar63

Posted October 04, 2009 - 03:40 PM

I will take pics but the turn signals are pretty standard DS turn signals, just like you see on KTM's, etc. The front turn signals are the standard DS turn signals, small/durable/tight mount/etc. The rear turn signals are flush mounted which fit real nice. The tail and head light are stock WR.

I did have to come up with an LED light for the license plate for Texas. Got two LED lights with wiring from Walmart for $3.49. I also had to make my own license plate holder. Again, I will do some pics. Overall, the Trick DS kit was great - clean, easy to install, etc.
Kurt

• kwar63

Posted October 08, 2009 - 08:12 AM

http://s829.photobuc...on 2006 wr 450/

I hope this works. This is my first try at loading pics on this site.

Kurt
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted October 08, 2009 - 09:33 AM

The Trick kit is nice as is the Baja Designs kit. The Trick one is a a bit fancier but... my big concern is a severe hit to the front number plate and the resulting damage to that key circuit board.

I have never had a fuse blow on a bike. I do replace them every few years though (believe it or not, they do 'wear out'). So the circuit breakers are not a selling point to me. The power port is a great add on and all the other kits missed out on it. But I add my own.
The modularity of the BD kit provides me with greater flexibility in addition to all power produced at the stator to be DC. This means repeated stalls are less concern when using the magic button, head light brilliance is not affected by engine speed and extra power is available for doodads like a GPS. My WR has three different lighting setups, all swappable in under two minutes.
Stock WR, but with Hi/Lo beam enabled
Stock tail light brake light enabled.
Different tail light that has a license plate light and a license plate
Standard H4 headlight, horn and signals
Different taillight that has the plate and turn signals
Baja Designs 8" Racelight

The goal was to run the minimum amount of 'stuff' that I could for the ride at hand. The Trick kit would of required me to buy three of the circuit board devices. The BD kit meant I had to buy three little headlight sub harnesses.

The main point I want to make is there are a couple of great kits on the market. They all have features the others do not. There is no one best kit. It is important to look at what you plan to do and how you plan to use it to determine what is the best kit for you.

• panaman

Posted October 09, 2009 - 06:45 AM

The Trick kit is nice as is the Baja Designs kit. The Trick one is a a bit fancier but... my big concern is a severe hit to the front number plate and the resulting damage to that key circuit board.

I have never had a fuse blow on a bike. I do replace them every few years though (believe it or not, they do 'wear out'). So the circuit breakers are not a selling point to me. The power port is a great add on and all the other kits missed out on it. But I add my own.
The modularity of the BD kit provides me with greater flexibility in addition to all power produced at the stator to be DC. This means repeated stalls are less concern when using the magic button, head light brilliance is not affected by engine speed and extra power is available for doodads like a GPS. My WR has three different lighting setups, all swappable in under two minutes.
Stock WR, but with Hi/Lo beam enabled
Stock tail light brake light enabled.
Different tail light that has a license plate light and a license plate
Standard H4 headlight, horn and signals
Different taillight that has the plate and turn signals
Baja Designs 8" Racelight

The goal was to run the minimum amount of 'stuff' that I could for the ride at hand. The Trick kit would of required me to buy three of the circuit board devices. The BD kit meant I had to buy three little headlight sub harnesses.

The main point I want to make is there are a couple of great kits on the market. They all have features the others do not. There is no one best kit. It is important to look at what you plan to do and how you plan to use it to determine what is the best kit for you.

I agree... that's why I pieced mine together....
I personally don't like the stuff they use in the kits..... I am sure they do it to be 50 state street legal and make sure everything is DOT approved.... but I don't want to put turn signals on my bike that are the size of ones you see on a harley.

• KennyMc

Posted October 09, 2009 - 12:00 PM

I have had the BD kit on my WR for over 1 1/2 years with no problems. I was able to install the kit without 1 call to BD. The wiring looms all made sense with good connections and the instructions right on.:bonk:

• bcs

Posted October 10, 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hey Kurt,

I have the same setup on my 2006 for three years now. It has worked well. I also got the same great customer service from Dale.

Only problems are the turn signals. The brackets he gives you for the front are flimsy. I tossed em and made my own from a flat piece of aluminum stock--just shaped and 3 holes (2 for the pinch bolts and one for the signal). Its much sturdier and fits closer in. The lenses on the rear turn signal break repeatedly. The main problem is that they are designed to mount to a flat surface, but the fender is slightly curved. If you tighten the screws, the lenses break, and if you back off, the screws fall out. It will be a constant annoyance.

One suggestion--I took a trip to my hardware store and bought some small stainless steel spacers and longer allen bolts for the hot start lever. Raising it about 5mm makes it clear the handlebar switch and it looks very sano.

One more--just recently I decided there was too much clutter on the bars, so I went to highway dirt bikes and bought one of these:
http://www.highwaydi...ef=BrakePerSw_2
I ordered a silver (not black finish) one with momentary contact switches and installed it on the brake side. This eliminated the separate kill switch on the clutch side. It is smaller than the stock e-start switch so it gives you more room to adjust lever position, etc. Looks trick, too.

• panaman

Posted October 11, 2009 - 05:35 AM

Hey Kurt,

I have the same setup on my 2006 for three years now. It has worked well. I also got the same great customer service from Dale.

Only problems are the turn signals. The brackets he gives you for the front are flimsy. I tossed em and made my own from a flat piece of aluminum stock--just shaped and 3 holes (2 for the pinch bolts and one for the signal). Its much sturdier and fits closer in. The lenses on the rear turn signal break repeatedly. The main problem is that they are designed to mount to a flat surface, but the fender is slightly curved. If you tighten the screws, the lenses break, and if you back off, the screws fall out. It will be a constant annoyance.

One suggestion--I took a trip to my hardware store and bought some small stainless steel spacers and longer allen bolts for the hot start lever. Raising it about 5mm makes it clear the handlebar switch and it looks very sano.

One more--just recently I decided there was too much clutter on the bars, so I went to highway dirt bikes and bought one of these:
http://www.highwaydi...ef=BrakePerSw_2
I ordered a silver (not black finish) one with momentary contact switches and installed it on the brake side. This eliminated the separate kill switch on the clutch side. It is smaller than the stock e-start switch so it gives you more room to adjust lever position, etc. Looks trick, too.

great tip on the momentary switches... I just ordered it... should help with the clutter

• kwar63

Posted October 11, 2009 - 07:56 AM

BD is a great kit as well but for the WR you do not need their headlight nor do you need their taillight. I have seen several BD on WR's and the owners all say the same thing. Like the kit but I did not like the headlight nor the taillight so they use the stock WR lights insteads. So for the WR, I think the Trick DS is the best kit. My 2cents.

• bcs

Posted October 11, 2009 - 08:07 AM

Overall layout of the bars now. I just switched to the pro tapers recently, so I had to re-arrange things. I no longer have a cross-bar on which to mount the roll chart. You can see that combining the start and kill switches frees up room on the right for the roll chart. Still want to work on a better mount for the chart.

Posted Image

Close-up of the combined switch. Not sure why I made the label--I guess it only benefits the guy who tries to steal it (or me, if I have a lapse of memory). Note that when you order the switch you can specifiy whether you want red, black, one of each, etc. I used lots of heat shrink and a dab of silicone to armor / waterproof the switch and wires.

Posted Image

For Kurt, here is the solution to the interference between the turn signal switch and the hot start lever. Just a couple bucks at the hardware store:

Posted Image

Custom turn signal brackets from a flat piece of aluminum stock (Home Depot):

Posted Image

After 3 days dual sporting in the Sierras last week, my only complaint is the roll chart is too low--have to look down too far to read it. Any suggestions on a better mount? Not shown is the GPS (you can see the ball for the RAM mount on the right side). I use the short 1-1/2" arm and it sits just right--not too high.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.