should i replace the cam chain tensioner when i replace the cam chain?

2 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 01, 2009 - 07:18 PM

i ordered a cam chain for my 2001 wr426f and was wondering if i need to replace the cam chain tensioner as well. any way to check it? it cost 60 dollars plus shipping so about 70 something so i would like to not have to replace it unless its a problem. do you guys reuse them or is that asking for trouble? also how often should i replace the cam chain on my wr426? does it need replaced every 50hrs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted October 02, 2009 - 03:55 AM

If it still works fine there's absolutely NO reason to replace it.
The way to test if it works is to wind it in, lock it, release it while your finger squeezes against it to hold it from completely coming out in one shot, press against it and every 1/8" that it comes out try to push it back in - it should not push back in and it should come out pretty smooth and not hang up.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 02, 2009 - 04:03 PM

If it still works fine there's absolutely NO reason to replace it.

+1 :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.