54 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2009 - 09:01 PM

Isn't it "I'm here huckleberry":moon:

No, it isn't.

http://www.worldwide.../qa/qa-huc1.htm

• TDW

Posted December 12, 2009 - 07:49 AM

The XL is a little narrower than the X for bikes with less clearance and not quite as strong. My X has the holes as well (not that I think they do anything)

So my X outside of pin to outside of pin (widest spot) is 20mm. All I can say is the XL will be narrower than that.

Thanks for checking that, would it be too much to ask for another measurement?
I was hoping to compare the chain measurement to a worn out stock oring chain that I want to replace, it measures right around .660 side to side of the outer most side plates. This old one is a narrow chain and Im just trying to make a comparision, I know there is some leeway before a wider chain will create a problem.

• tribalbc

Posted December 12, 2009 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for checking that, would it be too much to ask for another measurement?
I was hoping to compare the chain measurement to a worn out stock oring chain that I want to replace, it measures right around .660 side to side of the outer most side plates. This old one is a narrow chain and Im just trying to make a comparision, I know there is some leeway before a wider chain will create a problem.

Well I was measuring side to side on the widest possible spot so side to side on the outer most plates would be around 18mm. 26mm is close to 1 inch so 18mm would be around 0.692".

I hate standard you guys need to make the metric switch :banghead:

• TDW

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Im sure the chain I am considering will work, I was surprised to find out from yam that they couldnt get a measurement spec, oh well. Thanks for checking yours.
The metric thing seems to be slow process for some of us, just because of using standard for so long. Our speed limit signs are still in MPH.

• SparksXR426

Posted December 12, 2009 - 01:54 PM

I hate standard you guys need to make the metric switch :cheers:

Jeez, what would happen to the tool manufacturers? I thought everybody loved having 2 sets? Of course my metric sets always seem to be missing 8,10 and 12mm stuff. I swear they come like that. Fractions would be a lost art s well, how else would a guy know that 13mm works with a 1/2 inch and doesnt everybody love converting L/100 km back to MPG? Its too late now, probably more of a pride thing. .692 comes pretty close to 11/16 anyway and "pretty close" is what the standard system is all about.:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2009 - 02:57 PM

Well I was measuring side to side on the widest possible spot so side to side on the outer most plates would be around 18mm. 26mm is close to 1 inch so 18mm would be around 0.692".

I hate standard you guys need to make the metric switch :worthy:

Jeez, what would happen to the tool manufacturers? I thought everybody loved having 2 sets? Of course my metric sets always seem to be missing 8,10 and 12mm stuff. I swear they come like that. Fractions would be a lost art s well, how else would a guy know that 13mm works with a 1/2 inch and doesnt everybody love converting L/100 km back to MPG? Its too late now, probably more of a pride thing. .692 comes pretty close to 11/16 anyway and "pretty close" is what the standard system is all about.:banghead:

Work on British bikes. Then you'll need a third set.

"Around"? "Pretty close"? 1" = 25.4mm. Thus, 18mm = .7086", 11/16 =.6875" = 17.46mm.

If you want to have some more fun, tell me what the spring rate of your 5.3 kg/mm spring is in lbs/in. :cheers:

(296) :ride:

• tribalbc

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:08 PM

Tell me about it :cheers:

Last week I was mounting some handguards on my sled. Standard hex key bolts. Of course none of my metric or Standard standard hex keys would fit. Had to do a trip to the auto parts store for a 7/64 and 11/64 hex key. I'm sure never to be used again. What a PITA. I was cursing the handguard company and won't be buying them again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:12 PM

Work on British bikes. Then you'll need a third set.

"Around"? "Pretty close"? 1" = 25.4mm. Thus, 18mm = .7086", 11/16 =.6875" = 17.46mm.

If you want to have some more fun, tell me what the spring rate of your 5.3 kg/mm spring is in lbs/in. :cheers:

(296) :ride:

Wll I can do the N/M to inch/pound conversion. It's on my torque wrench :worthy:

Funny thing is I still don't know what I weigh in Kilo's or how tall I am in centimetres. We're still a little confused too :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:55 PM

I'm just glad I don't need my height and weight in hands and stones.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:32 PM

No, it isn't.

http://www.worldwide.../qa/qa-huc1.htm

So that makes Gray 90 or so and Finch 1.

• tribalbc

Posted July 30, 2010 - 04:34 PM

Just thought I would update this thread now that I've put 75hrs on a GYTR GDX chain.
Initial bedding in stretch was alot more than with my last Regina Z ring chain, but once bedded it has required very little adjustment.
It actually weighs more than my Regina chain, even with the holes drilled :eek:
I weighed 4 links of the Regina and 4 of the GYTR, the GYTR was about 10% heavier. Funny because the Regina looks beefier to the eye and you assume it would be heavier.
The thing that impresses me about this chain besides the price is the lack of drag. Even when cold it rolls almost as good as a ringless chain, best I've ever seen.

So in the end I don't think this chain will be quite as durable as a Regina, comprable to a DID, but for the price and lack of drag is one hell of a deal :banana:

• cruze77

Posted August 03, 2010 - 11:22 AM

They are made by EK

http://www.yamaha-mo...7/0/detail.aspx

• usp4u

Posted August 04, 2010 - 04:30 AM

The title of the pic in the link says "...by EK"

• meyer1son

Posted November 04, 2010 - 11:28 AM

Just thought I would update this thread now that I've put 75hrs on a GYTR GDX chain.
Initial bedding in stretch was alot more than with my last Regina Z ring chain, but once bedded it has required very little adjustment.
It actually weighs more than my Regina chain, even with the holes drilled :smirk:
I weighed 4 links of the Regina and 4 of the GYTR, the GYTR was about 10% heavier. Funny because the Regina looks beefier to the eye and you assume it would be heavier.
The thing that impresses me about this chain besides the price is the lack of drag. Even when cold it rolls almost as good as a ringless chain, best I've ever seen.

So in the end I don't think this chain will be quite as durable as a Regina, comprable to a DID, but for the price and lack of drag is one hell of a deal :excuseme:

How is the chain holding up?

Thx
Chris

• Brawg

Posted November 04, 2010 - 11:38 AM

The GYTR chains that i have experience with were made by Regina. However, my local Yamaha dealership bought a ton of them on a "clearance" from Yamaha, so maybe they were the old supplier and EK has stepped up. You would think that a japanese company would use a japanese supplier for their chains...EK being a subsidiary of Tsubaki...makes sense.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.