akrapovic yz pipe on wr

12 replies to this topic
  • tarragona

Posted October 01, 2009 - 01:38 PM

hey guys, i came across this pipe on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

will this pipe fit my 2009 wr450f (as the pipe is for a 2006 yz450f)?
thanks

• YamaLink

Posted October 01, 2009 - 04:11 PM

It will not fit.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:17 PM

You'll need an '06 yz header.

Other than the header it will fit.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 01, 2009 - 07:27 PM

06' yzf pipe diameter is different from 07+ YZF's... I know because I bought a FMF Q2 for a 06' YZF and had to hunt down a header... I ended up buying a new powerbomb header for the 06' YZF and it was one of the few left. Check e-bay and the TT classifieds for the 06' YZF header... good luck, when I was looking for one I could not find one that was cheaper than the powerbomb.

• tarragona

Posted October 02, 2009 - 04:19 AM

thanks guys, pleased i asked before buying.

so if i got a stock YZ header from 07-09 yzf and any yz/wr end can, that would work?

also would a 07-09 aftermarket full exhaust fit or would the header not work on a wr?
thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:18 AM

thanks guys, pleased i asked before buying.

so if i got a stock YZ header from 07-09 yzf and any yz/wr end can, that would work?

also would a 07-09 aftermarket full exhaust fit or would the header not work on a wr?
thanks

I am 90% sure that the WR and YZF have had different exhaust diameters every year since 04'. I am also 90% sure that the exhaust diameter on the 06' YZF was larger than the 07' thru 09' YZF....

The best thing to do is use the TT classified or some other on-line catalog and look at after market exhaust systems. They will usually list part numbers by model and year and that way you can see what years are compatible:thumbsup:

The YZF exhaust from 06'+ will mount to your 09' WR no problem but you have to make sure you are mating it up with the right header. YES, a full exhaust would work, no issues with header fitment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:39 AM

I am also 90% sure that the exhaust diameter on the 06' YZF was larger than the 07' thru 09' YZF....

No...you have that backwards...

06-07 YZ had the same size diameter, 08-09 YZ had a larger size :busted:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:15 AM

No...you have that backwards...

06-07 YZ had the same size diameter, 08-09 YZ had a larger size :busted:

Looking at the Yamaha selection of FMF headers you can see that 06' is not even represented in most cases.... http://shop.thumpert...ult.asp?p=9&s=2

I contacted FMF at the time I was trying to mate up the 06' YZFQ2 I had and they told me there was no header available... having said that, the kid I talked to at FMF seemed to have OD'd on his meds that morning....

Had I been able to use an 07' header I would have trust me... Also keep in mind that we are talking about OEM headers and Aftermarket headers... FMF places footnotes regarding whether or not the can/mid pipe you select will work with the OEM header

All I can say to the original poster is to do your homework and actually try and have the seller / retailer get out their calipers and measure the diameters before purchasing.

• klossWR450

Posted October 02, 2009 - 01:26 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Akrapovic on sale is a complete system so should fit no probs, I bought FMF powercore 4 for my 07 WR and it clearly states on the box it is for 06'+YZ and 07'+WR 450, it came with two alloy adapters(header-muffler) to fit both header sizes, I had it fitted with stock 07' WR header earlier, now have 06'YZ powerbomb(genuine Yamaha one) just swapped the adapters, the header to cylinder clamp is the same, hope this helps

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 02, 2009 - 02:27 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Akrapovic on sale is a complete system so should fit no probs,

My bad... I never looked at the link... yeah, that will bolt right up:thumbsup:

How much USD is 430 pounds?

• tarragona

Posted October 03, 2009 - 01:08 PM

thanks again for the help guys.
so the akrapovic header will fit the wr no problem, as this is a full system? (am i correct in assuming i dont need to wory about different diamiter pipes as i wont be using a stock header)?

@sjmc don. 430 GBP is aprox 685 USD

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 03, 2009 - 08:32 PM

(am i correct in assuming i dont need to wory about different diamiter pipes as i wont be using a stock header)?

You are correct... tell us how the system works out:ride:

• tarragona

Posted October 12, 2009 - 11:01 AM

ok, so i went ahead and bought the exhaust system, and what an exhaust it is, it looked stunning out the box, looks even better on the bike :bonk:
it fits the bike better than the stock pipe. so, with the pipe on and the free mods done (air box snorkel, gray wire, AIS, throttle stop) and some re-jetting i took the bike out for a ride.
man this thing is loud, sounds like a helicopter when its idle and has a nice throaty growel when its moving. its like a whole new machine now its uncorked. still need to do some tweeking with the jets but so far im very impressed with the bike and the akrapovic just makes it look and sound awsome.
thanks again for the help guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.