Electric start and lighting issues

27 replies to this topic
  • wartsnuff

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:18 PM

Have you checked for a draw?

sounds like it could be a draw?

does the battery loose charge overnight?

try charging it up... when you are done riding take the negitive terminal.

or when you buy your DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) maybe get it with the

Ability to measure amps... then you can daisy chain the one terminal on the battery and measure draw...

cheers
Warts

• bhulty20

Posted October 12, 2009 - 06:05 PM

Have you checked for a draw?

sounds like it could be a draw?

does the battery loose charge overnight?

try charging it up... when you are done riding take the negitive terminal.

or when you buy your DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) maybe get it with the

Ability to measure amps... then you can daisy chain the one terminal on the battery and measure draw...

cheers
Warts

Im not sure what draw is....... I highly doubt the battery is losing charge overnight. also not sure what daisy chain is lol. Sounds like maybe I should have my electrician buddy help me out with this....

• Bandit9

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:49 AM

My bike is doing the same thing. I bought it with a RYCO DS "barely legal" DS kit on it. He said he hadn't rode it in 6 months and the battery was dead. Apparently it is wired so that the headlights run straight off the battery. So I figured a new battery would solve that. Well I went the cheap route and took a flyer on a "BikeMaster" battery at CycleGear for $51. It was just too tempting looking at $140 for the YUSA, then $51 for the BikeMaster. So the BikeMaster lasted 3 rides. That was with me kicking it when cold. Never turned over the battery once until the first stall out once on the trail. That is also with a "Battery Tender JR" on the battery during the last 24-48 hrs before riding. Also, it has been on the cold side down here.

Is the BikeMaster just a piece of junk? Or will the YUSA do the same thing, just last 10 rides instead of 3?

Seems like the bigger Ebatt does the same thing.

• jayh300

Posted January 07, 2010 - 08:59 AM

bandit my 06 wr450 all stock has a bike master in it. I keep it on a tender jr always. I have had no issues with it at all. It had enough reserve power when i got it stuck a few rides ago to burn up the back bushing on the starter......
my buddy i ride with has an 04 wr, he bought his from interstate batt's here local and has been ok also..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bandit9

Posted January 07, 2010 - 09:14 AM

bandit my 06 wr450 all stock has a bike master in it. I keep it on a tender jr always. I have had no issues with it at all. It had enough reserve power when i got it stuck a few rides ago to burn up the back bushing on the starter......
my buddy i ride with has an 04 wr, he bought his from interstate batt's here local and has been ok also..

Interesting. Thanks.

Any recommendations on a Volt meter to buy. Like at Lowes or Home Depot?

• jayh300

Posted January 07, 2010 - 10:00 AM

i use a craftsman dvom i have had for years... i wonder if that set up is pulling some kind of draw all the time... never tried on a bike, but on cars to find a draw, you can disconnect the neg cable and put a test light between the batt and cable. If it lights up, you have a draw of some kind.. start unpugging stuff til it goes out.... i would think you might have a little draw from the speedo, since it stores settings, but other than that...
i have read a little on some of the ds kits that you have to change the way they ground, but not enough to know... Let me know how this turns out.. My buddy and I are thinking about ds's our wr's to ride a section of the TAT. I see where you have done that. Sounds like a blast.....

• Bandit9

Posted January 07, 2010 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, I figured I would just break down the TAT and do it State by State. However it has evolved into a singletrack trip mixed in with the TAT as an after thought. TAT by it'self was quite boring to me. So I try to find a guide/group ride in a state and just tag along for the single track. Then hit the "can't miss" parts of the TAT by myself. Colorado is this year. My biggest challenge this year is going to be my fitness. I'm 30lbs heavier than I was before I quit riding. It took 5 years of racing Enduros to be able to ride hard all day long, I won't be at that level anytime soon, certainly not before July.

Anyhow, back to the WR. If it turns out to be the way the DS is wired, I will probably just remove it after I go register it. Just put it back the stock way. I don't like the switch that comes with that kit. I don't ride at night and don't ride streets at all. I stay in the forest or on backwoods roads mostly.

• jayh300

Posted January 07, 2010 - 11:10 AM

we are in the central panhandle of texas, pretty close to where the two trails cross each other in southern colo. we are thinking like you, just riding the parts we want to.
just don't want to get caught without a plate....
i talked to a buddy who works at the m/c shop here about plating the wr, he said it was no big deal, but have not even started that process..

i am with ya on the extra 30 also.... Back when we rode enduros was the best shape i have ever been.... we rode 50 miles or so every weekend, can't seem to get that done anymore...

jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.