Demo 2008?

50 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted September 30, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Ok guys so I have found some pretty good deals at some local dealerships on a few Demo 08 YZ450f's what do you guys think is it a smart choice? I am just worried the first 10 to 15 hours are gonna be some hard hours on the bike with people demoing the bike and just hammering on it?

Anyone have advice on this? Any help would be appreciated!

• trailrider95

Posted September 30, 2009 - 08:54 PM

what dealers?i think it wouldnt matter, because if they break something, dont they have to pay for it?

• xr88honda

Posted September 30, 2009 - 08:55 PM

probally no different than somebody racing a bike i buy them brand new warm them up once then race them i dont see any difference

• FinchFan194

Posted September 30, 2009 - 09:01 PM

what dealers?i think it wouldnt matter, because if they break something, dont they have to pay for it?

It was a dealer off I-90 in Isaquah(sp?)

I am reluctant as to you never know how it was ridden I guess. Could have been some spode riding it I guess that couldn't even open it up as easily as it could be a local pro at thrashing it cuz the dealer let him borrow it for a day.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 30, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I think it should be fine.
The dealer makes sure they don't get beat up too bad.
He doesn't want to send it out on its next demo ride and have it break.
Dealer probably did a little break in on it before he sent it out.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 30, 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Sider Steve I am thinking about pulling the trigger on something this weekend.

• Sider_steve

Posted September 30, 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ask alot of questions,,dealers kids (or sponsored riders) could have raced them for a year also.
Both my cousins each got 2 bikes a year from Yamaha.
Both got sold at the end of the year one was raced all year the other never came out of the crate unless we needed a part off of it.

• RCannon

Posted October 01, 2009 - 02:33 PM

I'm not saying your demo fits in this category.....yours could be a real demo....however, when I worked at the shops the bikes we used were sold at the end of the season as "demo's".

It was one of the perks of the job. When you gave the bike back it had to have new tires, plastic, and a fresh piston and rings. Usually the employee would buy plastic (and tires) as they picked up the bike and put the oem things back on for return. Dont be fooled by nice plastic and tires. As far as maintenance went, you did maintain them, but more so as someone who knew the thing would be gone in a few months rather than an owner who just bought the bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 01, 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'm not saying your demo fits in this category.....yours could be a real demo....however, when I worked at the shops the bikes we used were sold at the end of the season as "demo's".

It was one of the perks of the job. When you gave the bike back it had to have new tires, plastic, and a fresh piston and rings. Usually the employee would buy plastic (and tires) as they picked up the bike and put the oem things back on for return. Dont be fooled by nice plastic and tires. As far as maintenance went, you did maintain them, but more so as someone who knew the thin would be gone in a few months rather than an owner who just bought the bike.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. ^^^^^^^^^

• RCannon

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:20 PM

This is exactly what I was afraid of. ^^^^^^^^^

Even that is not always bad. If you bought one of my bikes, the time on it might be significant, but the slow speed would wear nothing out. The shop I was at only discounted them 500 or so. The savings was very little.

If you decide to get serious at one, check in the service dept first. Often times the mechanics know who rode each individual bike. Then you select the one ridden by the old guy....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:29 PM

Then you select the one ridden by the old guy....

Hey....

:busted:

• FinchFan194

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys I think I am getting one for about $5450 OTD.

• nickeenoo

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys I think I am getting one for about $5450 OTD.

Please don't pay that much for a used 08 unless it has about 3K worth of extras on it. Check eBay for YZ's. You could get a brand new 09 shipped to your door for as much as you're going to pay for some question mark used 08.

Don't be afraid to call an out of state dealership and see what they charge to ship a bike. Do a little more homework; you can get a way better deal than a used 08 for $5500. At that price you're getting screwed. Period.

Nate

• FinchFan194

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Its brand new OTD less than an hour from my house. If you have a better source post me up a link! Thanks.

Part of me likes keeping it local too.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:50 PM

The price on the bike is 4999 sales take up here is 8.5 so that gets me to 5500 with tax and licensing.

• pscook

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:59 PM

The price on the bike is 4999 sales take up here is 8.5 so that gets me to 5500 with tax and licensing.

You should be able to get them to do 5k even OTD. They can eat the taxes and licensing for a bike that they have had for the last two (or so) years. If it is a demo, talk to Remco (sp?), I think that he is the parts manager. He is a good guy and will help set anything right. But seriously, tell them that it's 5 even out the door, or you are walking. This is a great time to be a buyer, use that leverage. Or at least get them to toss in $500 worth of gear (helmet, boots, pants, jersey). Keep it local, of course, but get them to earn your business.

• Sider_steve

Posted October 01, 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have seen new YZ's on ebay for $4500,but its all in location, location, location.
Any time I find that smokin deal on a bike on ebay its at the southern tip of Florida,and I happen to live about as far away as you can get from there.
I think $5400 is a bit steep for a "demo".

Check out the Yamaha incentives going on at their website. you can get $1100 back on an new bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 01, 2009 - 09:04 PM

O I am a wheelin dealin machine and I have all the gear I could want but times are tough for these shops. I am gonna see what I can do about a slip on to seal the deal that would make me happy get rid of that crappy muffler and then I would have my sparky for the woods too.

• YamaLink

Posted October 02, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Whoa, I did not know that. As usual, priceless info! :busted:

It was one of the perks of the job. When you gave the bike back it had to have new tires, plastic, and a fresh piston and rings. Usually the employee would buy plastic (and tires) as they picked up the bike and put the oem things back on for return. Dont be fooled by nice plastic and tires. As far as maintenance went, you did maintain them, but more so as someone who knew the thin would be gone in a few months rather than an owner who just bought the bike.

• nickeenoo

Posted October 02, 2009 - 09:22 AM

Its brand new OTD less than an hour from my house. If you have a better source post me up a link! Thanks.

Part of me likes keeping it local too.

One, you said the bike was a demo, not brand new. Second, I told you where to look. If you can't type an email address and click the mouse a few times you are on your own.

Once again, check eBay; there are several bikes on there and cycletrader that you could get for less money. As long as you are looking used you could probably find a clean 08 with some accessories for less than 4k.

If you are buying a brand new bike then 5500 OTD is not a bad price. But I'm not sure what you are buying, is it a demo or a brand new?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.