Timing Chain Discussion

35 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted October 01, 2009 - 11:10 PM

I like to answer questions with the right answer too but that doesn't happen too often therefore I just shut up :busted:

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2009 - 11:17 PM

I like to answer questions with the right answer too but that doesn't happen too often therefore I just shut up :busted:

Raising the possibility that you may be smarter than anyone thinks. :banana:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 02, 2009 - 06:00 AM

I have 175 Hrs on my 07 bike , this winter i was planing on doing the cam chain, my dilemma is should i change the tensioner as well?
Do i buy stock or an aftermarket chain?

First check the length of the chain at 175hrs for stretching
and check to see if the tensioner is working correctly. As Goose indicated his tensioner failed and this will definitely be a dilemma
Yes do both at the same time - it is just insurance
I have not heard of any swapped oem chains having problems, but I am sure it probably has happened. Again most of the bikes that I have seen jump timing, had a chain that stretched. And it is not a issue for +90% of the 06-09s.

Grey the kinking in the chain - wouldn't this happen naturally just from the chain coming off the gears and binding up? The chains I have seen that did this all of them were stretched. But with chains nothing would surprise me. I have seen drive chains fail and snap also both at the master link and other areas

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Grey the kinking in the chain - wouldn't this happen naturally just from the chain coming off the gears and binding up? The chains I have seen that did this all of them were stretched. But with chains nothing would surprise me. I have seen drive chains fail and snap also both at the master link and other areas

Not sure what you mean by "coming of the gears". Again, the chains I've seen fail in the later bikes have not been significantly stretched at all. YZF timing chains also don't have a master link. Normal wear should cause the chain to become looser across its width, not tighter.

Another thing that would lead to binding links is if the load bearing faces of the plate teeth "mushroom" as the wear. That would indicate a hardness problem.

• Yamkifour

Posted October 02, 2009 - 06:35 AM

After reading all recent timing chain posts, I change my 2007 yz450 chain this week. Old chain was not binding and looked ok. I failed to check the length. I did check the tensioner for proper operation, and it passed the recommended inspection. After replacement of chain the engine noise seemed alot quieter. After tensioner inspection and reset procedure I felt very comfortable with what seems to be a "fail proof design" (said knowing this statement holds no value with anything mechanical):busted:

• Wiz636

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

• rexbond007

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:44 AM

my biggest fear is buying a stock chain from yamaha and have it fail, there is now a history of chains failing. Are these chains off the same production line that is put in the bikes? is the failure in the chain itself or the tensioner?

• KJ790

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:53 AM

I hate to even bring up this topic, but this thread does have me thinking. I wonder if the oil used has any effect on the life of the cam chain. I know that I have not had any cam chain issues with them kinking or getting stiff on any of my yamaha's, but I change the cam chain at least every 60 hours. I used Yamalube 4R in my first two bikes, and since have switched to Maxima Maxum4 for the past few years. I know that the guy that bought my last 250F has had cam chain kinking issues on two different chains since I sold it to him. The only thing I can see that has changed is the type of oil we use, he has been running it on rotella. It may just be a coincidence, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:56 AM

I hate to even bring up this topic, but this thread does have me thinking. I wonder if the oil used has any effect on the life of the cam chain.

It's one of the possibilities. But it still seems like it shouldn't be such a weak point as to be that sensitive to such things.

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 02, 2009 - 09:32 AM

I think it's being over exaggerated as an "issue". Yes, it happened to me, but is still very rare, and I contributed to the tensioner failure...

I don't see much going on besides a chain that should normally be replaced probably about as often as your drive chain...And a lot of people, even when replacing the chain, don't replace the guides or the tensioner unit...

So, yeah, a high wear item, that most people don't ever touch maintenance wise, is going to have a few failures...But enough for Yamaha to do something about it? Yeah right...Not when properly maintained/riden/cared for bikes have had very very little issues...

• Jim813

Posted October 03, 2009 - 07:38 PM

Has anyone ever thought about putting a mechanical cam chain tensioner on a yz450?

• Jim813

Posted October 09, 2009 - 04:16 PM

no one?

• Geoffit

Posted October 11, 2009 - 01:54 PM

I have used a manual tensioner on a couple of supermoto engines and they work fine. the reason was to help with chain kinking that seems to come with hi rpms (250s are real bad about this) I never found any problems with the std yamaha part but it seems that the chains run too tight with the std part causing crank sprockets to wear out.
The bad rap with manual tensioners is that they don't get adjusted right ( to tight normally) and cause more problems then they help.
The APE unit works but you need to shorten the bolt to clear the carb.

• jasonlion54

Posted October 12, 2009 - 07:15 AM

How about an aftermarket camchain? Would it be more reliable than the Yamaha part? This one is $65 instead of the $20 for the OEM chain.

http://www.rockymoun...4#vehicleSelect

• ace402

Posted October 12, 2009 - 08:42 AM

I've heard of guys using cut down SV650 chains. Supposedly they are stronger. I haven't done much research to confirm if it's true. Maybe someone else has heard of it too?

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2009 - 09:06 AM

How about an aftermarket camchain? Would it be more reliable than the Yamaha part?

http://www.rockymoun...4#vehicleSelect

Based on the reputation of Borg-Warner, Japan, I would not be afraid to use it. My guess is that it would be at least as good, probably better, but I don't know for sure.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.