06 yz450f advice

19 replies to this topic
  • yz250fnewbie

Posted September 30, 2009 - 05:41 AM

i've been riding an 03 yz250f for 3 years now. it was my first bike. my son has outgrown his rm85 and will be moving up to my yz so... dad is looking for a new (to me) bike. i'm looking at an 06 yz450f. is there anything in particular i should pay attention to? thanks in advance for helping. the wife says this may be the last bike i get to buy so i've gotta make it good...

• saccityfire

Posted September 30, 2009 - 08:47 AM

06' is really nice and fast if properly set up. 09' is a little better in the handling and much worse in the low end power in stock form. I loved my 06' and would still be on it today if it hadn't been for a long recovery from a blown disc.

I would get the 06' and when it comes time to hand it over to your son get yourself whatever has come along and bettered it. Trade in the wife if necessary.

Get it checked out for like $100 at a reputable shop prior to purchase even if it looks clean. abused bikes can be cleaned and plastics removed at purchase and replaced for sale. Shop can check motor condition. How much wear damage is present on the engine case covers? Does the suspension work smoothly? Bent or damaged shock tubes or sliders? Any oil seepage from seals, engine? What does inside of air cleaner box look like? Look at rear tire and fender from rear of bike does rear tire and center of fender align? What do the brake discs look like? Any large gouges on the frame? How does it run at idle and different throttle openings? It should backfire (pop) slightly when throttle is cracked open and closed quickly!! Rims true laterally and as a circle? Stock tires or after market? condition of chain wear blocks and areas where chain may have contacted? Is the chain stock? Did owner ever grease the suspension linkage or steering bearings? Does clutch pull easily and throttle operate smoothly?

A new 06' YZ can be had for low $4K's so don't take too many chances if this is really your LAST bike ever!!

Hope this helps.

• yz250fnewbie

Posted September 30, 2009 - 10:14 AM

thanks for all the info! i'll check everything out and i am taking it for a ride. about the only thing i have looked at so far is the radiators and they are not smashed at all like it might have been laid down. i will check the rest out though and thanks! as far as last bike goes... in a few years all the kids will be gone and my wife says we're getting a convertible and celebrating an empty nest!

• hillclimbguy

Posted September 30, 2009 - 05:56 PM

06 is a great year for the YZ.

• holker1

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:56 AM

IF you ever have to do fork seals buy 2004 rmz 250 fork seals. i did that on my non-stop leaking new oem seals and they havent leaked in 4 months 4PR performance in IL recommended that to me.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2009 - 09:24 AM

That's one solution. The latest KYB seals for this fork that I got from Dave Johnson at SMART Performance also work very much better than the first OEM seals did.

• saccityfire

Posted October 01, 2009 - 09:33 AM

thanks for all the info! i'll check everything out and i am taking it for a ride. about the only thing i have looked at so far is the radiators and they are not smashed at all like it might have been laid down. i will check the rest out though and thanks! as far as last bike goes... in a few years all the kids will be gone and my wife says we're getting a convertible and celebrating an empty nest!

I've had a couple of really good get offs on my 09' and the radiators don't have a single scratch on them. My throttle tube is broken on the end though and my fender has a lighter blue line from creasing.

Be careful, next thing you know you're gonna be getting excited about a day shopping at Bed Bath and Beyond...

• motox-senior

Posted October 01, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have an 06 and love it,ride everything from high speed desert to tight single track,radiator guards would be a good investment.My son rides an 07,it has the same power but feels 10 lbs lighter,if I sold my 06 I would go for the 07 .

• bluedawg

Posted October 01, 2009 - 01:03 PM

there is a nice article about the 06 yz450 in this months dirt rider mag :busted:

• husqy360

Posted October 01, 2009 - 08:50 PM

there is a nice article about the 06 yz450 in this months dirt rider mag :banana:

please post a link
:busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2009 - 09:29 PM

There are no links to hard copy magazines.

• husqy360

Posted October 01, 2009 - 10:37 PM

There are no links to hard copy magazines.

I was thinking its on there web site :busted:.

• bluedawg

Posted October 02, 2009 - 03:22 AM

I was thinking its on there web site :busted:.

dirt rider mag really liked the 06 yz450 and compared it to being as good as or even better in most ways than a 09 yz450 after they did some mods:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2009 - 05:48 AM

dirt rider mag really liked the 06 yz450 and compared it to being as good as or even better in most ways than a 09 yz450 after they did some mods:thumbsup:

That's interesting. As I recall, they didn't have a lot of good to say about the '06 back in '06. Now they're saying a bike they didn't like is better than the current version? :busted:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:07 AM

That's interesting. As I recall, they didn't have a lot of good to say about the '06 back in '06. Now they're saying a bike they didn't like is better than the current version? :busted:

I recall the same thing. I'm not a big Jimmy Lewis fan, honestly I wish he'd go away.

• ams14

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:25 AM

I bought an 06 yz450F at the beginning of the summer (hadn't ridden in years). I really like it. Some people say they don't turn well, but I'm not at a level where I'd know the difference.

I put on new bars, unbreakable levers, new tires, a re-usable oil filter and am getting the front forks revalved/resealed this winter and I think it will be perfect for me. Also think about a heavier flywheel if you ride a lot of trails.

• saccityfire

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:18 AM

Set it up and ride it right and it turns awesome!

• Eric908

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:29 AM

I love my 2006 YZ450F. It is quite the holeshot machine, even against the newer bikes. I've had only minor issues: fork seals, steering stem bearings and the oil filter cover bolt that likes to strip out. I've also had to stiffen up my forks considerably even though I only weigh 185 lbs. I feel that my bike will be competitive for many more years in the senior classes. I'll replace only for the sake of going with better handling because there simply isn't a better running motor, stock!

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2009 - 08:31 AM

I've had only minor issues: fork seals, steering stem bearings and the oil filter cover bolt that likes to strip out.

All three of those are both correctable and preventable.

• yz250fnewbie

Posted October 02, 2009 - 11:56 AM

great, thanks for all the info everybody. i was also looking at an 07 crf450r but i think i'll stick with the yzf. planning on picking it up this weekend!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.