steering dampener

5 replies to this topic
  • GNCCYZ400

Posted April 25, 2000 - 07:01 PM

Does anyone have any tips on the w.e.r. steering dampener. I've been thinking about getting one, but don't want to waste the money if it's not going to help reduce fatigue during a long race (gncc). any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 25, 2000 - 07:10 PM

I run one of the Scotts. I think they are a big help, I'm sure mine has saved me from some high speed get offs when I hit rocks....I also think they help your upper body stay strong longer into a race, IMHO

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited 04-26-2000).]

• Matt_Porritt

Posted April 26, 2000 - 01:35 AM

Doesn't the WER require drilling through the frame to mount it??
May be a little hard when the oil is in the frame! :)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Norman

Posted April 26, 2000 - 07:00 PM

I race the Texas Harescramble Series and would personally never ride without one. I would spend the extra money and buy the Scotts stabilizer, it is adjustable and mounts around your steering stem. I know some people with the WER damper and most of them are happy with it but I dont think there is much difference in money.
Norman

• YZFWrench

Posted April 27, 2000 - 04:26 PM

I've owned the WER and Scotts dampers, with then Scotts being my favorite hands down. The WER would fade after a few races and need an oil change (not to mention carving up the # plate to install it) while the Scotts has been trouble-free for the past 4 months of hard use.

Phil
'00 YZ426

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 30, 2000 - 08:09 PM

Jeff I run a WER damper on my 98 WR. The latest model mounts via a small plate that welds to the flat side of the steering head. I am very impressed with it. I'm retired on a pension so I'm don't waste money on cosmetics or mods I can do without but I intend to have a damper on my bikes from now on. In Oz the WER is $600 the Scotts is generally unavailable and the Ohlins that appears to use Scotts patents is $850.
I am not aware of any other makes that are suited specifically for off road. The WER requires some modification to the headlight. Not a problem on my model as it has a light plastic light-thing? On a YZ you may need to modify your front plate. I like to change my bar position so the Scotts/Ohlins would have required extra top clamp mounts. The WER mounts lower and is out of the way. It is a simpler, set and forget system. If you don't move your bars forward and back and price is not an obstacle then the Scotts is probably better for racing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.