95 ford contour gl speedometer not working

9 replies to this topic
  • zak13

Posted September 29, 2009 - 12:09 PM

im planning on buying a 95 ford contour gl from my friend for $150 its got some problems but theyre easy fixes but the only one i cant figure out is why the speedometer doesnt work it worked when he got it then one day it stopped working and just sat at 0 then the next day it worked fine then it would go from like 25 to like 70 when were keeping a steady pace at around 45 then it would drop to 0 every once in a while and it just kept freaking out then it just stopped working completely. any ideas? also the odometer doesnt work and is stuck at 103000 and the oil light flashes but idk if that would do anything. i know that it isnt the best car but its only 150 bucks has a tow hitch so i can haul light stuff and is good on gas till i can get a better car or truck.

• Smacaroni

Posted September 30, 2009 - 05:03 AM

Do the gauges do this?
That was my Windstar. Our Focus did it too.

It's a Ford, it's appropriately priced at $150 (it runs, it drives it's worth $150, probably more). If FL doesn't care your speedo/odo is intermittent, drive it till the wheels fall off.
To my knowledge, FL has no inspection requirements, so just make sure the tires and brakes are decent, add gas, drive.
I had a hell of a time chasing down various electrical issues on our Ford, most were never found. I cried the day it was towed out of my driveway.
I'm still not sure if I was crying over all the money I lost or if I was just so damn happy to see that POS leave for the final time.

The only thing worth checking on the speedo issue is if the plug is connected properly, if it is, don't worry about it.

• zak13

Posted September 30, 2009 - 02:31 PM

no the speedometer just started goin from really low to really high then to zero it has no tachometer but it is stick :busted: i kno weird but the thing is its my first car and i hav a heavy foot even in a car that has a speedomoter (my moms 2004 mazda tribute) so i just dnt want to get a ticket or anything

• anvilair

Posted September 30, 2009 - 03:42 PM

If I am not mistaken the wiring harnesses on those were prone to corrosion due to condensation build up. Try disconnecting all the connectors and cleaning them, especially the one behind the gauge cluster itself. If that does not work it probably means the internals are shot. Ebay has tons of replacement units for short money.

• Smacaroni

Posted October 01, 2009 - 03:11 AM

no the speedometer just started goin from really low to really high then to zero it has no tachometer but it is stick :busted: i kno weird but the thing is its my first car and i hav a heavy foot even in a car that has a speedomoter (my moms 2004 mazda tribute) so i just dnt want to get a ticket or anything

Stay in the right lane on the freeway and learn to pace the car in front of you on surface streets. I've done about 600 miles on the motorcycle this way and around 2,000 miles in the car. The motorcycle's cable snapped and the car... I replaced the shifter cables and bumped the speedo sender's connection loose, it took a few weeks before it vibrated out. But what took me so long to fix it was I couldn't find it to plug it back in again.

You can try cleaning the connections as advised earlier if you're really concerned, but my feeling after having two Fords that both had wacky instrument cluster issues, electrical issues and one random self-destructing engine is that they are not worth fixing, 20,000 miles or 220,000 miles. Just drive it, if it won't go one day, get out, leave the keys inside and put a sign on the side that says "free call 305-555-1212"
For $150, if you get a speeding tax or two, you're still getting a deal for a set of running wheels.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zak13

Posted October 01, 2009 - 01:55 PM

yea true but what the current owner does is use what gear he is in as to how fast hes going like first gear hes not going more than 14 second gear 25 third gear 40 fourth gear 55 and fifth 70 (when the car starts shaking lol)

• pilot42

Posted October 01, 2009 - 04:40 PM

This is easy, by the cheapest GPS you can get your hand on. They all have speedometers.

• zak13

Posted October 01, 2009 - 05:09 PM

that is honestly the best and easiest idea ive heard so far cause i need one anyways cause i plan on traveling up to see my sister at college and stuff

• Smacaroni

Posted October 02, 2009 - 03:45 AM

yea true but what the current owner does is use what gear he is in as to how fast hes going like first gear hes not going more than 14 second gear 25 third gear 40 fourth gear 55 and fifth 70 (when the car starts shaking lol)

It's a manual! Awesome. This car just moved up from an "F" (Ford) to a "D-" (Dodge). I kid, I kid!.
The shake is probably from bad tires or bent rims.
The gear vs. speed is a good way to know, but then again, my car will do 58 mph in second or 30 in fourth. I had one that would run all the way to 78 mph in second. I didn't mention it since the 70s manual transmissions aren't really "standard" any more.
The GPS solution sounds good too, I don't have one and most of the time when I could use one, it doesn't help me. Like last month when I drove to NYC in a straight truck. No GPS is reliable enough, so I still had to use an atlas.

• zak13

Posted October 02, 2009 - 12:16 PM

yea once i get the car im gettin new tires takin it to my schools shop and i am personally balancing the tires and maybe an alignment and then an oil change etc and maybe then i can check out the wiring harness and ask my teacher if he can find anything

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.