06 has me whipped for now!

10 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:36 AM

My friend has an 06 that runs really rough and ratty at 1/2 throttle. I spent the entire day with him on sunday in my shop trying to figure out the problem.
We started replacing electrical parts one at a time (I have enough spare parts to build a whole bike) and by the time we were through we had changed every electrical part including the wire harness. Nothing made a difference. We checked the valve clearence and timing. We took the carb off and went completely through it and found no problem. We changed and tried three seperate exhaust systems and made sure the filter was good. I'm at a complete loss as to what could be the problem.
He recently completely rebuilt the motor and installed new valves. He also runs a Athena big bore kit on it. The cams are stock and he has a ZipTy carb mod. When the motor was rebuilt it ran perfect, but has since developed this 1/2 throttle problem.
If anyone has any other ideas I'm ready to try anything at this point.
JB

• Ricco420

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:39 AM

jetting ?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:44 AM

jetting ?

We played with the needle both up and down without any luck. The bike was running good before with the jetting that was in it and the weather has not changed to cold yet, so I would think it should be ok.

• Ricco420

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:46 AM

Fuel line? and filter?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:50 AM

Fuel line? and filter?

I even pulled the petcock off and tore it apart, cleaned it and made sure of no problems. The fuel line is clear and we put a fresh filter on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ricco420

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:51 AM

did you check the plug for any clues?

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:53 AM

See what happens when the TPS is disconnected.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted September 29, 2009 - 07:34 AM

I didn't think of that. In hindsight I should have swapped out the carb to see if that helped. I'll try that and let you know.
JB

• cowboyona426

Posted September 29, 2009 - 08:04 AM

I would also take the time to check the metal plate in the carb slide. If anyone had the slide out (you mentioned the Zip Ty carb mod) its really easy to put that plate in upside down.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:49 AM

my guess also is that the TPS Pre set setting has slipped....

• yz450fcranker

Posted September 29, 2009 - 12:48 PM

my 09 dies the same rattle thing maybe a heavier flywheel makes it better but i dont think anything will make it better FOrever

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.