Throttle screw stop missing !!!!

12 replies to this topic
  • mrlopez

Posted September 28, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Well bike been running a bit crappy since I bought it so I decide to take the carb to clean it and do the throttle stop mod, will to my surprise theirs no stop throttle screw!!!! So what should I do go get me the complet part from my dealer, should I order it for a 2000yz400? Mine it's a 2000 wr400, could that be my problem that the bike runs crappy? Thanks in advance

• William1

Posted September 29, 2009 - 03:10 AM

A missing stop screw would only be an issue as the throttle gets to WOT. If you have running issues elsewhere, it is not the reason. Sounds to me like the previous owner did things half-assed and I would not be surprised to find other 'modifications' just as intelligently done.

• atitagain

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Wow...William, your being pretty hard on the previous owner.
"It's an imperfect world...screws fall out all the time!" I just had to quote that line out of The Breakfast Club.

Now to answer the question about which stop to buy.....get the one for the YZ, or you will be cutting down the WR one.
Mike

• mrlopez

Posted September 29, 2009 - 07:16 AM

Ok so I order the one for the yz now what year?

• William1

Posted September 29, 2009 - 07:35 AM

Wow...William, your being pretty hard on the previous owner.
"It's an imperfect world...screws fall out all the time!" I just had to quote that line out of The Breakfast Club.

Now to answer the question about which stop to buy.....get the one for the YZ, or you will be cutting down the WR one.
Mike

Maybe a bit hard but it is the wrong way to do things. When I see a bike with things done imporperly, I have to wonder when all the shortcut jobs will end. Did he re-use circlips on the Chinese piston? Over the years, many guys have gotten great deals on used bikes. Always something is not quite right. The amount of money then spent on parts along with all my time (which is free though a nice sammich s a good payment) the person could often of bought a new or at least properly maintained used bike with none of the3 headaches and frustration. Cheap things are cheap for a reason.

BTW, no way would a throttle stop screw ever fall out. So the PO pulled it and left it at that. Same mentality as drinking a beer trail side and leaving your empty on the ground.

• William1

Posted September 29, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Correct part #
5TJ-14591-10-00

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrlopez

Posted September 29, 2009 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the partnumber, one more question does it need a spring in bewteen?

• William1

Posted September 29, 2009 - 09:31 AM

No, no spring on the throttle stop. When you get it, you'll notice it has pre-applied blue loctite. Be sure the threads on the carb are clean then just screw it in. It'll be a little stiff due to the locking compound. Just snug it in place. Do not over tighten.

• mrlopez

Posted September 29, 2009 - 09:36 AM

Ok gotcha, call the local dealers so they don't have it stock, any website that I could order it faster?

• William1

Posted September 29, 2009 - 09:58 AM

Doubtful. All dealers basically get it from the same source. You order it on line, they have to get it then mail it to you. Just order it from the largest local dealer. Inquire when they place parts orders. You may be able to do it over the phone. In CA, I often use Orange County Yamaha.

• tcmII

Posted September 29, 2009 - 05:37 PM

You could try Sudco. I got a new throttle speed screw in about 3 days. The part was $22 form Sudco and $80 from the dealer. They have a $25 minimum so it may not make any difference.

Take a look at item 177 on the diagram. Sudco

• tcmII

Posted September 29, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I did some more looking and you can get it for $10 here yamahapartsnation. Just put in the info for a 2000 yz426, change to the carb view and go to item 57.

• mrlopez

Posted September 30, 2009 - 07:14 AM

Cool thanks for the help guys 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.