Just bought a 07 WR 450

13 replies to this topic
  • yamazuki10

Posted September 28, 2009 - 05:14 AM

So I finally got the bike I have been feening for for the past 3 years. After 3 DRZs,a KTM, and a WR 400, I finally have it. What now? It is already very hooked up, FMF Ti, AIS been removed, gray wire done, YZ throttle stop done, and armored up for the single track. My question is, what's up with the 2 oil dip sticks? One kinda on the side where a lot of dip sticks are and then there's one on the front of the motor kinda by the header? I plan on running Yamalube 10W-40, any other reccomendations? Any other quirks/issues with this bike? I read the FAQ and I had a WR 400, I loved that bike but was a PITA to start, and now I have the magic button with more power.:busted:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:00 AM

Just one dipstick. The one on the side is where you fill only.

Very few quirks with this bike. Sounds like you may have it jetted correctly in which case you are way ahead of the curve and the bike will start pretty easily. Oil is kind of a personal thing and dependent on temperature etc. I run 20w-50 of various brands. As to armor, the main thing on this bike being radiator protection. If you have that covered great, if not, there are some good brands out there. I have Unibikers and they have saved the same radiator twice where just the screen in front got a little warped (due to the bike landing on a rock right where the shroud mounts to the guard, but the cage around the radiator stayed perfectly straight.

• yamazuki10

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for your input. But why do both have dipsticks? Do I check the more forward one and just fill the one on the side? What's the capacity, about 2 qts?

• Wrfrk

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for your input. But why do both have dipsticks? Do I check the more forward one and just fill the one on the side? What's the capacity, about 2 qts?

There should only be one dipstick, that being on the front of the motor. If you have a dipstick on the side where you are to put in the oil, that's something the previous owner did. The one on the side is redundant and really would not be accurate anyhow...

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 28, 2009 - 07:06 AM

Exactly and as was mentioned above, the 2nd dipstick was probably added by the previous owner. I would not use that for any measurements. As far as capacity, the owners manual is very accurrate (1.06 qt with a filter change). That works out to about 34 oz. Make sure to open both filler and dipstick plugs when draining else you won't get it all out. I normally add a quart, run the engine a minute or two, shut it down and slowly add another 2-4 ounces until I'm on the high end of the dip stick markings. Make sure the bike is level.

• yamazuki10

Posted September 28, 2009 - 07:12 AM

Thanks guys, I did'nt realize it held so little oil. Yeah the dip stick on the side is chrome, I know go figure. Why would you put chrome anything on a dirtbike? Unfortunatley I did'nt get an owners manual, but I'll buy a Haynes I guess.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 28, 2009 - 07:25 AM

Thanks guys, I did'nt realize it held so little oil. Yeah the dip stick on the side is chrome, I know go figure. Why would you put chrome anything on a dirtbike? Unfortunatley I did'nt get an owners manual, but I'll buy a Haynes I guess.

The Yamaha owners manual is also a service manual and is very good. I downloaded an online version that I use more often than my hard copy. Check at the top in the stickies as I think that is where I originally got it. Forget the Haynes, not needed.

Can anyone confirm where this is located? It's been a while for me and I've forgotten where it was located.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 28, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Can anyone confirm where this is located?

Here you go :busted:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• KennyMc

Posted September 28, 2009 - 10:42 AM

Rember their 2 drain plugs. On on the side by the shifter and 1 under the center of the motor.:busted:

• yamazuki10

Posted September 29, 2009 - 04:02 AM

Thanks, good to know.

• ohioryder

Posted September 29, 2009 - 10:09 AM

Rember their 2 drain plugs. On on the side by the shifter and 1 under the center of the motor.:busted:

Are you referring to the inspection plugs? Because there is only 1 "drain" plug on the shifter side, one on the transmission side, and the bottom oil filter bolt.

• KennyMc

Posted September 29, 2009 - 10:36 AM

Are you referring to the inspection plugs? Because there is only 1 "drain" plug on the shifter side, one on the transmission side, and the bottom oil filter bolt.

I was referring to the fact that there are 2 drain plugs. 1 (next to shifter) + 1 (under the motor) = 2.

• ohioryder

Posted September 30, 2009 - 06:19 AM

I was referring to the fact that there are 2 drain plugs. 1 (next to shifter) + 1 (under the motor) = 2.

HaHa...I need to start getting more sleep :busted: I completely misread that!

• KennyMc

Posted September 30, 2009 - 06:44 AM

HaHa...I need to start getting more sleep :banana: I completely misread that!

Checking my own spelling before I hit post might be a good thing as well:bonk: :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.