dr.d hot start

10 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted September 27, 2009 - 05:07 PM

i have a 02 426 with a dr.d hot start. when i got the bike the carb was gumed up. i had it serviced and it ran great. well the hot start seem to hang up after i use it and the bike runs lean. i am thinking it might be just a bad cable, but i thought some one on here might have had the same problem and could help. thanks

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2009 - 07:32 PM

Check for the smooth operation of the hot start plunger in its bore. I've never been certain the route water takes to invade this point with the DRD kit, but when we had one on a YZ250F, it was impossible to avoid. The water would get in while washing the bike, stand there for a week, and corrode the plunger into the bore.

Penetrating oil, sandpaper and a 9mm brass pistol brush can be used to clean things up. ALL of the corrosion must be removed from the bore, or it will "grow back".

To prevent it from sticking, we ran the engine after each wash job and held the hot start open for a few moments to clear any water from the passage and bore. It always worked. You can also choose to keep it greased.

• zaxcar1

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:30 PM

is there a better hot start on the market

• motoxer667

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:44 PM

Check for the smooth operation of the hot start plunger in its bore. I've never been certain the route water takes to invade this point with the DRD kit, but when we had one on a YZ250F, it was impossible to avoid. The water would get in while washing the bike, stand there for a week, and corrode the plunger into the bore.

Penetrating oil, sandpaper and a 9mm brass pistol brush can be used to clean things up. ALL of the corrosion must be removed from the bore, or it will "grow back".

To prevent it from sticking, we ran the engine after each wash job and held the hot start open for a few moments to clear any water from the passage and bore. It always worked. You can also choose to keep it greased.

DITTO from here.

• dunerat

Posted September 28, 2009 - 06:52 PM

is there a better hot start on the market

thats about the best one i found...good all metal constuction:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 29, 2009 - 06:16 AM

Gray nailed it... a light coating of grease (VERY light...) and running the bike after you wash it will keep the corrosion away. I had the Dr. D hot start on my 426 and by doing those 2 things I never had corrosion problems.
I think the Dr. D is the only aftermarket kit available for a hot start. Your other option is to try and adapt a hot start mechanism from a CRF 450 (the YZ 450 hot start comes in from the top of the carb, the CRF comes in from the side like the 400/426).

• Dave102429

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Your other option is to try and adapt a hot start mechanism from a CRF 450 (the YZ 450 hot start comes in from the top of the carb, the CRF comes in from the side like the 400/426).

Will that actually work? I was thinking about getting the DRD hot start kit for my YZ426, but I know where I can get my hands on a CRF450 hot start lever assembly. If all I need is the CRF450 cable and plunger, that'd be cool!

• cowboyona426

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:37 AM

Will that actually work? I was thinking about getting the DRD hot start kit for my YZ426, but I know where I can get my hands on a CRF450 hot start lever assembly. If all I need is the CRF450 cable and plunger, that'd be cool!

I looked into it when I had my 426 but never got around to trying it. Since they use the same carb I don't know why it wouldn't work.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:47 AM

getting rid of the plastic nut and replacing it with Alum will also help keep all the moiture out of the plunger orafice

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2009 - 12:24 PM

getting rid of the plastic nut and replacing it with Alum will also help keep all the moiture out of the plunger orafice

The DRD kit doesn't use a plastic nut. It's the bar mount conversion for the older (pre-'03) bikes.

• Dave102429

Posted January 06, 2010 - 01:31 PM

For anyone searching on options for installing a handlebar mounted hot start kit on their YZ426:
http://www.thumperta...622#post9022622

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.