Winter WR, What Do You Think?

49 replies to this topic
  • Diabs

Posted November 22, 2009 - 08:40 AM

All the snowmobile trails are patrolled by the OPP or Regional cops and you will be charged if you are on a marked snowmobile trail without a trail pass. :excuseme:
Also we have enough enemies without getting the OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) to hate us.

So...when getting a Trail Pass, do you need to supply make and model of your sled? I mean, yeah if you get pulled over and than ask for a trail pass you just pull it out? And by chance was it you that asked someone if this set-up would be alright? and by chance who did you ask?(OFSC?)

I mean really, the only difference would be only one ski, with less air pollution.

Just curious.....

• willy_fitz

Posted November 24, 2009 - 03:55 AM

So...when getting a Trail Pass, do you need to supply make and model of your sled? I mean, yeah if you get pulled over and than ask for a trail pass you just pull it out? And by chance was it you that asked someone if this set-up would be alright? and by chance who did you ask?(OFSC?)

I mean really, the only difference would be only one ski, with less air pollution.

Just curious.....

I asked the sales rep of the radix unit at last year's International Bike Show in Toronto, the OPP SAVE co-ordinator at the OFTR Presidents' Council and my local dealer who also sells sleds and snowmobile trail passes.

They all tell the same story. I wish it was different because I would have one of these rigs in a second if I thought I could get on the trails legally during the winter. The difference is in the legistration that covers these vehicles.

Snowmobiles are clearly defined in the Ontario Snowmobile Act and a converted bike is not going to make it. ATV's and bikes come under the Ontario Off-Road Vehicle Act. From the information I have you would be wasting your money on a snowmobile trail pass since the OPP would not consider it valid for a converted bike due to above.

Snowmobile Trail Passes are only valid for snowmobiles as defined by the Ontario Snowmobile Act. The snowmobile clubs already have problems with ATV's getting on the trails and a number of clubs have already said no to the bike conversion kits.

So there it is. If you don't like the answer I suggest you talk to your MPP and have the legistration changed.

• Diabs

Posted November 25, 2009 - 04:40 AM

well that sucks.....talking to my local MPP would be like talking in one ear and out the other lol.

Yeah, that kinda puts damper on wanting one....I mean I did say thers other trails....but, it would' of been sweet to be allowed on the sled trails.

Oh well, maybe one day....

Hopefully your detailed answer will also help others......

• panaman

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:32 AM

i think for 3K i would just buy a used snowmobile

• the ben

Posted November 25, 2009 - 09:14 AM

If you took that three grand and bought a used sled you would have a used sled.. wich to me is like saying I don't want a new dirt bike I am going to buy a four weeeler. I have both a sled and the 2moto kit... the sled got ridden three times last year..1 took it out to check the snow before I took out the bike. 2 to take a friend out to try the bike 3 to put fuel stabil in it for the off season

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snowhawkaddict

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:05 PM

i think for 3K i would just buy a used snowmobile

What's your point?

Some of you who stumbled on mainstream motorcycles as a hobby/sport are lucky the quad did not come first.

I wish I had been a fly on the wall when the skiers were moaning about those early boarders, would they even admit to their ignorance then today?

Otherwise the oposite universe would be a whole bunch of single ski riders questioning the introduction of a machine with two skis, the snowmobile.

• tribalbc

Posted November 25, 2009 - 06:14 PM

What's your point?

Some of you who stumbled on mainstream motorcycles as a hobby/sport are lucky the quad did not come first.

I wish I had been a fly on the wall when the skiers were moaning about those early boarders, would they even admit to their ignorance then today?

Otherwise the oposite universe would be a whole bunch of single ski riders questioning the introduction of a machine with two skis, the snowmobile.

I think these look like a ton of fun for certain conditions.
But for deep snow, big mountain riding they are never going to replace a long track, high horse power sled.
Most of the time mountain riding is on one ski anyways :bonk:

That said I'd love to try one out :excuseme:

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:27 PM

That said I'd love to try one out :excuseme:

And for your sake I hope you get a chance, might make you question some of your other words.:bonk:

• the ben

Posted December 01, 2009 - 01:58 PM

well I a have an oppertunity to rent some of these things.. what dow you all think.. is there enough interest in it? I would like to here some feed back.

thanks

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted December 01, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Are you saying you are interested in starting a rental co., or are you tring to organize a group rental ride?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.