Winter WR, What Do You Think?

49 replies to this topic
  • Dobber1

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:43 PM

Nice video:thumbsup: [COLOR="Blue"]Thanks![/COLOR]
My first question is, would my 250F have enough power to run this setup with my 190 pound azz on it? [COLOR="blue"]Downhill on hardpack...LOL...No![/COLOR]

Second,I am not as good in the cold as I used to be.
Do big bulky winter boots make it hard to shift gears on a motocross bike? [COLOR="blue"]Thought they would be bulky, but no problem...not a whole lot of shifting going on in the powder either...1st & 2nd gears.[/COLOR]
Or are you just riding with regular MX boots? [COLOR="blue"]Not sure if these would be warm enough?[/COLOR]

I used to ride sleds way back when, so I miss playin in the snow.
Storage space is at a minimum so the track and ski could be hung on a wall or in the rafters. [COLOR="Blue"]That's exactly where I have ours stored. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]If you ever have the opportunity to try one of these, DO![/COLOR]

• Sider_steve

Posted October 01, 2009 - 06:45 PM

Ok would a 250 smoker work?

• Dobber1

Posted October 01, 2009 - 07:01 PM

Ok would a 250 smoker work?

[COLOR="Blue"]Have yet to see a kit on a 2 smoke?[/COLOR]

• Diabs

Posted October 02, 2009 - 05:47 AM

DObber1....hows the bike setup for fluids?....do you put anti-gasfreeze in? how about the rad fluid?.....your videos are cool, like the guitaring in ther too..I noticed your going fairly slow....was that just for the video?...and lastly did you have to rejet? Thanks.

• shaunone

Posted October 02, 2009 - 07:48 AM

You most definitely will have to rejet. Extreme temperature fluctuation coupled with the major elevation changes inherent to riding in the mountains means much fiddling. Get a JD jet kit, externally adjustable fuel/air screw and an adjustable leak jet, and youll get it dialed in. I run 0w40 full synthetic in the winter as well, to ease starting... I envy the FI....

• Dobber1

Posted October 02, 2009 - 03:03 PM

DObber1....hows the bike setup for fluids?....do you put anti-gasfreeze in? how about the rad fluid?.....your videos are cool, like the guitaring in ther too..I noticed your going fairly slow....was that just for the video?...and lastly did you have to rejet? Thanks.

[COLOR="Blue"]Been running normal fluids, add a little ISO Heet with gas.
Speed of the ride is mainly due to following/filming the Mrs. :busted: She just enjoys cruising & "Explorering" :banana:
Did not rejet & ran fine.
Here's a short vid with a little speed of my son on the 250.[/COLOR]

[IMG][IMG]http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/Loibip2/th_299920f4.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted October 08, 2009 - 11:13 AM

Just get a used sled. The setup is cool but there is no way that its better than something actually designed for the snow. My WR is a summer machine only!

Sleds are quads, think with your dipstick Jimmy!

• Sider_steve

Posted October 08, 2009 - 04:48 PM

Sleds are quads, think with your dipstick Jimmy!

That was cool. Liked the sleds with forks.

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted October 09, 2009 - 11:13 AM

Feb. in Montana, good road trip, I ride it in the summer on my R1150GS, the Hotsprings near Lolo pass feel much better when it's snowing.

• the ben

Posted October 14, 2009 - 11:48 AM

the 2 moto kit is well worth the sticker shock... can't wait for the snow.. Back on the first page of this post there is a wr with a guy in a blue yamaha jacket...that was me on my first day with a bone stock wr. it is a lot of fun... I hope to get some good video of jumping these things. don not try one unless you want to buy it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snowhawkaddict

Posted October 14, 2009 - 04:08 PM

That's what I keep telling myself and all the others.Posted Image

:bonk:

• redneckj

Posted October 16, 2009 - 07:42 AM

I thought I would post some pics of the cabin @ Government Meadows, Greenwater Washington. Before the snow this year on Oct 8th and after the snow in 2008.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• willy_fitz

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:03 AM

From what I am reading it appears that this is not a good setup for riding the snowmobile trails we have here in Ontario. Being a skiier I haven't seen anything around here that looks like powder in years.
I was also told that you cannot buy a snowmobile trail pass to use with this rig. :bonk: Does anyone have any other info?

• Diabs

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:37 AM

From what I am reading it appears that this is not a good setup for riding the snowmobile trails we have here in Ontario. Being a skiier I haven't seen anything around here that looks like powder in years.
I was also told that you cannot buy a snowmobile trail pass to use with this rig. :bonk: Does anyone have any other info?

Fellow Ontario'ian.....what about just going without the trailpass?...its not a sled so why would we need a pass?....not playing stupid, I just don't know much about sleding and if anyone can use the trails or is it just for sleds and no one else?

Your right about not seeing powder snow here....I have to go to BC for that. But, you do bring up that question, of how does it ride on fairly packed snow?

As for the trails, I can find tons of places to ride outside of the sled trails.

• shaunone

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Depends on which kit your on. The Explorer is great for hard pack, tracks like a slot car. The 2moto, on the other hand, is extremely darty on hardpack. I think this is because the design lends itself towards having too much ski pressure. With the Explorer, the track sit 'under' you and the ski is closer to your C of G. If I was riding groomed trails all day, I would go for the Explorer. If I was riding fresh powder all day, Id go for the 2moto.

• the ben

Posted October 21, 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have riden both the explorer and the 2 moto... I now own a 2 moto. In the first ever snow bike race...Ground zero... I beat the explore by two positions.... Ice is scary on anything with skis..firm spring day 2moto...powder 2moto. But I am biased I guess..

I have witnesed a race between two skilled riders one with 2moto one with explorer, each company riders. they were about the same until it came to wooped out areas.. the explorer was like a pogo stick. radix was a like a dirt bike.

I have to say that in all fainess the explorer did work... I would just rather have the best..

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• willy_fitz

Posted November 21, 2009 - 05:40 AM

Fellow Ontario'ian.....what about just going without the trailpass?...its not a sled so why would we need a pass?....not playing stupid, I just don't know much about sleding and if anyone can use the trails or is it just for sleds and no one else?

All the snowmobile trails are patrolled by the OPP or Regional cops and you will be charged if you are on a marked snowmobile trail without a trail pass. :excuseme:
Also we have enough enemies without getting the OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) to hate us.

• tribalbc

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you have your airbox stuffed with foam to keep snow out of the intake?

Sick Pics :excuseme:

Is that this season because we already have midwinter conditions in the mountains here this year?
Going sledding today :bonk:

• Snowhawkaddict

Posted November 21, 2009 - 10:28 AM

You remove the airbox and install a foam cylandrical pod filter covered by a filterskin. In realy light powder conditions, snowmobile powderscreen fastened around the frame where the airbox would give a second barrier.

Pics were from two years ago.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.