Winter WR, What Do You Think?

49 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha_James

Posted September 27, 2009 - 04:08 PM

Alright, I hate to say it, but for us int the Great White North, winter is just around the corner. Meaning many WR's will be sitting in a garage waiting there, lonely, for the next ridng season to come. At the begging of summer I saw this video on youtube, but thought nothing much of it. Needless to say I've been thinking about it lately and I think this would make the bike very fun/usefull in the winter.

I snowboard so I could take the bike to and from the local ski hill, also to school and work and back.

What i'm talking about is the EXPLORER Smart All Terrain System, it's basically a rear track instead of a rear wheel and a ski isntead of a front wheel. The system uses the existing swing arm and brake set up, they claim it takes 60-90 minutes to switch back and forward between the two systems.

Here is they're web site: http://www.explorerm...om/home_en.aspx

Here is a Youtube Video:

This setup really intrigues me and here are the questions:
1. What would you have to modify on the engine to run at temps below -20?
2. What kind of oil would you need to use?
3. What about engine coolant?

Thanks in advance for the imput, let me know what you think of this set up. :busted:

P.S. I am going to call a shop the appearently carries them, tomorrow hopefully, to get a price on them.

• ohioryder

Posted September 27, 2009 - 04:45 PM

I stopped and talked to a guy that was riding his motocross bike set up like that up in Michigan's UP last season. The conversion looked very good and he said it ran and handled great...alot of fun to ride. I did not ask him about jetting as I would guess you will need to re-jet, and as far as anti-freeze/collant I would say just use regular Yamaha anti-freeze. you should be good. I would think that it would require the same amount of maintenance as a modern snowmobile does.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:14 AM

Alright so I got a response and they are around $3000, thats is a ton of money. But when you think about it the bike is 10K an extra 3K to ride it year round.

• ohioryder

Posted September 29, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Thats too expensive for my income but if you can afford it why not? Do you get too much snow to just use screws on the tires? Ive never done it but a few co-workers ride in winter and say its better than riding in the summer.

• wartsnuff

Posted September 29, 2009 - 12:28 PM

on the river or the lake, most of the time screws in the tire's will work just fine.

but here is Winnipeg... 90% of the time off the trail it would be tough with tires on the bike.

antifreeze 50/50 should be good to go.....

jetting, there is alot more air your going to have to fatten up the jetting for sure.. someone must have some recipies on here i am sure.

3k USD i presume is a ton of money.. wow it would be fun to try it out.

i have a sled for the winter season.. 07 Apex RTX... she is a good girl lots of miles on her. but she always runs.

cheers
Warts

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 29, 2009 - 01:09 PM

I would have a hard time affording it but its 3K CAD, I live in Prince Edward Island. This would be intead of a sled, I do not own a WR yet so it would have to be well after the purchase of the bike.

• Alternative

Posted September 29, 2009 - 10:07 PM

I'm sure he'll chime in at some point, but you should talk to TT member FrostBite. He lives in some isolated town in Canada and uses a similar setup on his WR450. I'm sure he'll be able to answer your Q's on which fluids to run etc.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 30, 2009 - 06:04 AM

Okay, I was hoping somebody would have this setup to beable to answer my questions.

• Thresher90

Posted September 30, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Just get a used sled. The setup is cool but there is no way that its better than something actually designed for the snow. My WR is a summer machine only!

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 30, 2009 - 08:26 AM

Just get a used sled. The setup is cool but there is no way that its better than something actually designed for the snow. My WR is a summer machine only!

If I had the funds my wr would be doing this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sider_steve

Posted September 30, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I would love to try that system out.
I think 3K is a bit steep,but if I could ride my bike 5 more months out of the year.
Sure you could go buy a sled,but they take up alot of space and I doubt your going to get a decent sled for 3K.

• drtbk4ever

Posted September 30, 2009 - 11:03 AM

You gotta check out Frostbites thread. He used to live in Pang Nunavet and now lives in Iqaluit I think.

http://www.thumperta...ight=mailing wr

This guy knows more about cold weather riding than anybody.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 30, 2009 - 12:04 PM

I would love to try that system out.
I think 3K is a bit steep,but if I could ride my bike 5 more months out of the year.
Sure you could go buy a sled,but they take up alot of space and I doubt your going to get a decent sled for 3K.

Yeah thats is what I'm thinking, sure it wouldn't be as good as a 10K sled, but I think it would be a blast!

• willy_fitz

Posted September 30, 2009 - 06:42 PM

If you ride in the winter (either with the track conversion or with studded tires) it is important to block off some of the rad to get the temperature up to operating temperature. At your typical ice race if you don't get the engine temperature up to normal it is difficult to jet the bike properly.

• Diabs

Posted October 01, 2009 - 05:51 AM

Its alittle pricey...but for how its made and being able to use you bike all year...I'm starting to save now! I want one....instead of having another toy(sled) which I don't have the room for, do the conversion for the better part of 5 months up here in CAN.....curious if I can use it for road use since my bike is street legal (of course making sure ther is enough snow!)

• redneckj

Posted October 01, 2009 - 12:42 PM

Well, last winter i got to finally ride a 2moto bike. It was to say the least "Challenging". The day I got to ride was lest than ideal conditions. The trails were hard packed. Go out to your bike and tighten the headset bearings as tight as you can get them and try to ride your bike down the road. That is what it felt like trying to ride it up the trail. NOT FUN at all in those conditions. I really would like the chance to ride one in 2+feet of fresh powder. I think it would be a blast in those conditions. Where we snowmobile we only ride the trails up to get to the backcountry. Getting there on a "snowbike" would suck. Once you get there the riding would probably be fine. But whatever you do, you cant turn a hotdog into a steak. There is NO substitute for a 150HP 163" track mountain sled.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• shaunone

Posted October 01, 2009 - 03:11 PM

First of all, snowbiking is nothing like snowmobiling. It is a completely different sport, and requires different skills. I enjoy snowbiking much more because I like riding a motorcycle. A sled, regardless of cost, is not comparable. I think you dont have a good impression of the 2 moto kit because hardpack riding sucks. Get that thing in some fresh powder and try wiping the smile off your face. As for modifications, youll need to do all of the above, and dont forget to reroute your crankcase breather hose to under the seat, as it may ice up under the skidplate and create excess crankcase pressure, popping out the lobes on your valve cover gasket. Also, run some ISOHEET in the gas to keep the carb from icing up. Other than that, install some heated grips and have fun.

• redneckj

Posted October 01, 2009 - 03:49 PM

First of all, snowbiking is nothing like snowmobiling. It is a completely different sport, and requires different skills. I enjoy snowbiking much more because I like riding a motorcycle. A sled, regardless of cost, is not comparable. I think you dont have a good impression of the 2 moto kit because hardpack riding sucks. Get that thing in some fresh powder and try wiping the smile off your face. As for modifications, youll need to do all of the above, and dont forget to reroute your crankcase breather hose to under the seat, as it may ice up under the skidplate and create excess crankcase pressure, popping out the lobes on your valve cover gasket. Also, run some ISOHEET in the gas to keep the carb from icing up. Other than that, install some heated grips and have fun.

I agree two totally different type of rides. People ask me, what is snowmobiling like?? I reply, its like riding a snowmobile. Nothing else is comparable. Ive only been riding sleds for 5 years now. Been riding dirtbikes since the 70's.

• Dobber1

Posted October 01, 2009 - 04:00 PM

First of all....
Just find a slightly used bike (any kind, 450 & up), purchase a kit and you should be able to do this for under $7K IMO. :banana:

Well, last winter i got to finally ride a 2moto bike. It was to say the least "Challenging". The day I got to ride was lest than ideal conditions. The trails were hard packed. Go out to your bike and tighten the headset bearings as tight as you can get them and try to ride your bike down the road. That is what it felt like trying to ride it up the trail. NOT FUN at all in those conditions. [COLOR="Blue"]"Actually, the Explorer does well on the hardpack trails and is a blast if you like to "flat track" the corners![/COLOR]" I really would like the chance to ride one in 2+feet of fresh powder. I think it would be a blast in those conditions. Where we snowmobile we only ride the trails up to get to the backcountry. Getting there on a "snowbike" would suck. Once you get there the riding would probably be fine. But whatever you do, you cant turn a hotdog into a steak. [COLOR="Blue"]There is NO substitute for a 150HP 163" track mountain sled.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]On certain days, yes, this is the ticket![/COLOR]
Posted Image

[COLOR="blue"]First of all, snowbiking is nothing like snowmobiling. It is a completely different sport[/COLOR], and requires different skills. I enjoy snowbiking much more because I like riding a motorcycle. A sled, regardless of cost, is not comparable. I think you dont have a good impression of the 2 moto kit because hardpack riding sucks. Get that thing in some fresh powder and try wiping the smile off your face. As for modifications, youll need to do all of the above, and dont forget to reroute your crankcase breather hose to under the seat, as it may ice up under the skidplate and create excess crankcase pressure, popping out the lobes on your valve cover gasket. Also, run some ISOHEET in the gas to keep the carb from icing up. Other than that, install some heated grips and have fun.

[COLOR="blue"]Couldn't agree more with this statement![/COLOR] :busted:
Posted Image

[COLOR="blue"]Some of our videos from last season[/COLOR]...[COLOR="Red"]PhantomChick rides RED! (CRF250X)[/COLOR]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkolA7EG9Ks&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCNTwWzcV8&feature=channel

• Sider_steve

Posted October 01, 2009 - 05:36 PM

First of all....
Just find a slightly used bike (any kind, 450 & up), purchase a kit and you should be able to do this for under $7K IMO. :busted:

Nice video:thumbsup:
My first question is, would my 250F have enough power to run this setup with my 190 pound azz on it?

Second,I am not as good in the cold as I used to be.
Do big bulky winter boots make it hard to shift gears on a motocross bike?
Or are you just riding with regular MX boots?

I used to ride sleds way back when, so I miss playin in the snow.
Storage space is at a minimum so the track and ski could be hung on a wall or in the rafters.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.